News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

E-readers for PDFs,etc.

Started by paddington_bear, September 30, 2021, 03:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddington_bear

I think I asked this a long time ago in the earlier iteration of this community, but I never saved what people said and I never took anyone's advice, so.....I find myself printing out a lot of sheets of paper for my lecture notes for class. Even though I use paper meant for recycling and I print on both sides of the paper, it ends up being a lot of paper. If people use lecture notes for class, do any of you use an e-reader/laptop/etc. instead of physical paper? What do you recommend?  I'd like something where the screen is closer to a regular sheet of paper and where I could still annotate the document, ideally. And even if you don't use an e-reader, can you recommend something? I have a laptop, but that seems cumbersome to bring to class every day. And my Kindle is smaller than I'd like, as is my smartphone.

mamselle

I sat next to a guy on a plane (obviously, two years ago or more) who had an awesome, very-thin reader that he used to annotate text, read, etc.

I think it was in the Mac world, and I live in PC-land, so I didn't take note of the exact maker or model, but that might be a place to start.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

When I'm teaching online or recording lectures I use my iPad for my notes rather than wasting paper. I've also started using it for sheet music while rehearsing.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

paddington_bear

Yes, I was thinking that an iPad would be an option. I could one for about $400 or so, since I don't care about a fancy camera and I wouldn't need cell service.

Parasaurolophus

I last researched this years ago, but at the time I came to the conclusion that the only decent way to mark up the PDFs--and have enough storage, too--is on a tablet of one kind or another.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

iPad with iAnnotate is my tool of chouice.  Electronic stylus helps a lot.

I also grade student work with this.   Joyfully.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

traductio

After a year of working on a $70 Kindle Fire (with apps that let me mark up PDFs), I splurged on an iPad with keyboard and the Apple Pen. The Apple Pen is fantastic (if pricey -- CAN$159, I think). The keyboard is also really nice.

paddington_bear

Thanks for the recommendations/anecdotes. Maybe an ipad will be Xmas gift to myself.

downer

Are there Android tablets that are as good as iPads for annotating PDFs? Pesonally speaking, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy an Apple product.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

paddington_bear

Quote from: downer on October 03, 2021, 03:13:24 PM
Are there Android tablets that are as good as iPads for annotating PDFs? Pesonally speaking, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy an Apple product.

I don't know anything about Android tablets. (Is the Microsoft Surface considered Android? I don't know anything about those either, but I see them around campus.)

AvidReader

Quote from: downer on October 03, 2021, 03:13:24 PM

I use a generic 10-inch Android tablet (~$100) and a generic fine-tip stylus and have found PDF annotation a little clunky. I mostly use an app called Xodo. It underlines and highlights PDFs quite well, but I cannot write out more than one or two words clearly, so while it is great for highlighting passages in articles, it is not great for grading papers or annotating my own writing (though I can connect to a keyboard and type directly into Word documents). I don't know if this is because I have a budget tablet, a budget stylus, or because of larger system differences. I've never used an iPad, so I can't compare the two.

AR.

mleok

I use a reMarkable 2, which is an extremely thin eink based ebook reader with hand annotation capabilities, and a stylus with a paperlike feel when writing.

https://remarkable.com/

Aster

Everyone that I know uses a stylus-capable tablet (e.g., Microsoft Surface). A regular, non-stylus manufactured tablet is just not going to work well for anything better than finger swiping.

paddington_bear

I wasn't familiar with the reMarkable. Interesting option!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mleok on October 05, 2021, 09:42:06 AM
I use a reMarkable 2, which is an extremely thin eink based ebook reader with hand annotation capabilities, and a stylus with a paperlike feel when writing.

https://remarkable.com/

I was sorely tempted when the first version came out, but it was advertised to me via FB (ugh) and it was still in development, so I thought I'd let them iron out the kinks.

What are the remaining kinks?
I know it's a genus.