News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Yesterday, found ---SAUR and started researching dinosaur names. Some worked but the LB wouldn't take them so I think we found our limit.

Slow start this morning. Back and forth between grading and puzzles, then long walk and woohoo, lunch outdoors!

ab_grp

Got to QB, finally! A bunch of points came from filling in blanks by looking at my word list and seeing things I was somehow missing, and then I managed to get the remaining words.  I can report one pangram and no really weird words that I can think of.

Enjoy the outdoors, ciao_yall!

Back to work on the other puzzles...

Parasaurolophus

Today, I'm a pangram short of genius. Grrr.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Congrats on QB, ab_grp. Found the panagram and finally sneaked into genius. Now I am going to see if I can hit QB without going to the Comments board. I could have done it yesterday, and if you say it's possible without any weird words,  then it's a quest.

Parasaurolophus I feel your pain. I was in "amazing" found the panagram and was still stuck in "amazing" for a few more words! I call it the "amazing tar pit" because it seems like once you are in there it takes forever to get out.

LB is challenging today. I at least got a 4fer which is the official "great job" but you all have me striving for more.

Parasaurolophus

Just passed genius, but still pangramless!

Edit: got it as I posted. Phew. On to QB!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats on genius and pangrams, Parasaurolophus and ciao_yall! No, I don't think there were any very unusual words (personally, based on previous puzzles), like anything that would make me say "what on earth is that?!".  There is a lot of bookkeeping, which I think I will start calling beekeeping!

No real luck on LB yet, but sudokus are done.

Good luck!

cathwen

Congratulations on all the successes!

I got the official solution to LB yesterday, but today's LB has me flummoxed.

In SB, I'm at genius, and probably will stay there.  No pangram yet!

Langue_doc

Congrats all! Just made it to QB. Got stuck on finding the last word which turned out to be a variant of one I'd found early on.

ab_grp, crossword statistics reports my streak as 1. I had to keep telling myself last night that life doesn't revolve around arbitrary streaks.

I've yet to look at LB. It's been a long day. There's still paperwork for two cheaters.

ab_grp

Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc! I'm sorry about the crossword streak, but yep it's just arbitrary.  Sorry you have to deal with cheaters.

Congrats on genius, cathwen! I forgot to ask what your final word was yesterday.  Mine was "outworn", which I finally just stumbled upon.  Not a great word, I think? I have a couple LB contenders, but no luck yet.  Good luck to you.

Langue_doc

Good luck with LB, ab_grp. Got the two-fer. I stumbled on the first word and decided that I liked it so much that I kept trying to get the other letters to form a word.

My final word in yesterday's SB was outro. I got it because I mistyped what I thought was s word.

ciao_yall

Langue_doc awesome! I have a 3fer but no 2fer yet.

For SB I'm at Beta (204 points, 85%) so it's gonna a be a while. Beekeeping, LOL ab_grp!

Langue_doc

ciao_yall, messaging the hint to you and ab_grp. Read only if you want to.

SB words are mostly familiar ones.

Spoiler alert--one of the words (not the exact word) reminded me of Bugs Bunny's nemesis--rather Bugs Bunny was this character's nemesis. See if you can play around with this word.

ciao_yall

LB - Got it! Thanks Langue_doc! I had already found the first word earlier but couldn't do much with it. Then the reminder of yesterday's bee put me over the edge.

SB - Hit the Comments thread to see if I could polish off the Bee. Got close then stared at Langue_doc!'s hint and Whee! QB!

I can sleep easy now.

Langue_doc

Woohoo, ciao_yall.

Morning, everyone.

Two pangrams in SB, familiar words so far. Not sure what to expect after genius.

Aside: just got home from the liquor store. Nobody drinks sherry anymore. Oh for a smooth amontillado.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks for the LB hint, Langue_doc! I saw it while on my phone and didn't get back to my computer this morning but took another look and figured out the answer from your clues.  I definitely would not have found that solution on my own! Thanks! I can't seem to look at LB even in a browser on my phone, so I will have to try to take a pic before shutting down for the day in case hints come in.

Congrats on getting the 2fer as well, ciao_yall, and for getting to QB!

I think I am right at the cusp of Alpha today, 118 pts (~89.7%) but I thought I had only found one pangram and don't have enough points left for another, so I will have to go back and look again.  It was pretty quick going for a while, but then I got stuck until I remembered some bee words that have bitten me in the past.  Not sure what's remaining but will try for QB later.

Enjoy the sherry when you get to it, Langue_doc.  I am mostly a red wine person, but husband and his bud had a huge sherry tasting a couple years ago and had picked their favorite.  I think we have a bottle and will go check at some point.  I know pretty much nothing about sherries.

Crossword today was not too hard but had a bit of literature in there, better for those of you with those backgrounds.  On to sudokus.

Good luck!

ETA: Managed to get a 2fer!