News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I looped over genius with a total guess.  Hopefully I'll get to QB! Is that where the witch hat is? Thanks for mentioning it, because I probably would have completely missed it.

As for 's', I thought about that a while back and don't think I have ever seen an 's' in the puzzle.  Can't say for sure, but I have gone back through a bunch of word lists from before I started playing, and I haven't seen any there, either.  Maybe the solution list would just be way too long? And probably a pain in the neck to just have to go through and add 's' to everything.  Though there would be new words we don't usually get to find, too.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on October 31, 2020, 08:37:36 AM
I looped over genius with a total guess.  Hopefully I'll get to QB! Is that where the witch hat is? Thanks for mentioning it, because I probably would have completely missed it.

You get the hat at genius. I've not yet made it to QB, but I'm close.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 31, 2020, 09:07:18 AM

Mine doesn't seem to show a witch hat, but maybe spouse's does, as we are on different operating systems.  We made it to within about 6 points of QB but haven't gotten the final word or words yet.  Good luck!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on October 31, 2020, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 31, 2020, 09:07:18 AM

Mine doesn't seem to show a witch hat, but maybe spouse's does, as we are on different operating systems.  We made it to within about 6 points of QB but haven't gotten the final word or words yet.  Good luck!

It was just on the popup telling you you've hit genius. I imagine it'll show up again when you hit QB.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Got to genius. I'll have to look for the remaining words later.

ab_grp

We didn't get to see the witch hat yesterday, but we did make it to QB with the help of the program finding the last two words (barb, which we should have gotten, and babka, which we always miss).  I keep thinking barback or rawbar might be in there, to no avail.

Today's didn't seem too rough but is taking me a while.  I have to finish the crossword first, and that is also taking longer than usual.  Maybe it's the time change, or maybe I need the coffee to set in more. 

Langue_doc

I'm well above genius today but can't find the pangram. It's probably something easy, but I'm stumped.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 02, 2020, 06:25:26 AM
I'm well above genius today but can't find the pangram. It's probably something easy, but I'm stumped.

It's a tricky one to see.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

I actually saw the pangram right off today, though there have been a couple days recently in which I got to genius and still had no clue about the pangram.  I wonder if the letters all start out in the same arrangement for folks? Spouse and I paid attention to that early on (and whether shuffling the letters took them to the same new arrangement), but now I can't recall.  I do think the arrangement helps.  Keep shuffling! Today has been pretty easy for me so far, though I'm still about 15 points from QB.  Good luck!

Langue_doc

I found the pangram.

The arrangements seem to vary as I have different ones on the desktop and the kindle (I just checked). Shuffling does help as words just pop up in certain configurations.

ab_grp

Hooray! Another thing that sometimes helps me is to just start typing sets of letters that should work.  A lot of times, it will lead me to remember a word that I didn't try yet.  YMMV.

Happily, between the two of us we got all but one point, and I managed to figure out the final (very simple) four-letter word for QB.  Thankfully, spouse remembered one of the ones we always forget.  Yesterday we managed to forget that darned callaloo.

Langue_doc

I do the typing of random letters too. This morning I tried to get the pangram by trying out words with un-. On rare occasions, random typing gives me words that I didn't know even existed. Today a perfectly legit word was rejected, presumably because SB thought it was naughty.

I got the spelling wrong with callaloo. The previous day I forgot abracadabra and crawdad.

ab_grp

I go ahead and try words that might get rejected for being naughty, because there are plenty in there that I wouldn't personally add.  Sometimes I wonder if the app will delete itself if I enter anything too over the line.  Hasn't happened yet!

And I forgot to comment on abracadabra being in there the other day.  I was surprised when it was accepted but was glad to see it.  Actually, that was the word I was referring to when I said I guessed a word that looped me right past genius.  It felt like serendipity.

As for the pangram and trying letter sequences, I approach it similarly when it doesn't pop right out at me.  There are days when I just get stuck in a mental rut because particular prefixes, suffixes, or sequences occur a lot, and then I can't seem to think outside that box. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on November 02, 2020, 11:52:45 AM
I go ahead and try words that might get rejected for being naughty, because there are plenty in there that I wouldn't personally add.  Sometimes I wonder if the app will delete itself if I enter anything too over the line.  Hasn't happened yet!

That made me laugh.

Seriously considering subscribing now. I miss the days when I could do it for free!

Langue_doc

Plodded up to 83, but haven't found the pangram yet.