News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I can report that there are at least two pangrams today.  When spouse and I compared words, we had different ones, so that helped get our points up.  Still searching the database for the remaining words.

Langue_doc

Found the second pangram!

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 11, 2020, 12:23:29 PM
Found the second pangram!

Hurrah! I had to look at the answers for the final word (program turned up two others) but am now complete.

Langue_doc

Congrats!

I don't think I'll get there today. I'm four points short of 200, my target number for today.

ab_grp

Thanks, but I am not sure running programs and then actually looking at the answers is really a win.  We did get to 208 beforehand, though, I think.  I only made it to about 171 before that.  So you on good ground in my book.

Langue_doc

Made it to genius with 30 words and 97 points. It's a short list today.

ab_grp

Luckily the (?) pangram popped right out, but I still have about 20 points to go for QB.  I have run out of steam for now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO, verbalized the pangram from yesterday before I could even look at it. Grr. Today's pangram (just one?) jumped out at me.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 13, 2020, 10:02:09 AM
SO, verbalized the pangram from yesterday before I could even look at it. Grr. Today's pangram (just one?) jumped out at me.

Argh!! Sorry to hear about that.  Congrats on the pangram today! It jumped out at me too, luckily.  We had to look up the final word.  Yesterday we missed "twilit" (again).

Langue_doc

I got to 101 this morning, and no pangram. I too missed twilit and tali, both of which I've seen in previous puzzles.

EPW, I hear you about having someone tell you the pangram before you found it.

Recovering from a trip to the grocery store--the employees don't know what the protocols are anymore. Aargh!!!!!

Edit: found the pangram.

ab_grp

Glad you found the pangram, Langue_doc, and argh about the grocery store staff! I totally guessed tali yesterday, although I'm sure we've had it before.

Langue_doc

It's a wordy one today. Despite the two pangrams, I'm still 37 points short of genius.

I missed only two yesterday-- elegize and elegized.

ab_grp

That's great, Langue_doc! I am in a similar place today, though it looks like about 40 points for me left to go.  I felt like I was doing pretty well, but it definitely is a wordy one!

Yesterday when we went to compare lists, we both had the same number of words, but husband was only one point away from QB.  I gave him a hint, because I suspected which one he was missing, so he got QB.  It was "geez" again.   I was missing "dizzied".   We were both stumped on why "deglaze" and "deglazed" wouldn't be in there.

Langue_doc

ab_grp, I was stumped by deglaze and deglazed as well. I even googled the words just to make sure that I wasn't imagining things! I got dizzied not because I thought that it was an actual word, but just because I tried that particular configuration.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on November 16, 2020, 08:58:07 AM
It was "geez" again.  [...] We were both stumped on why "deglaze" and "deglazed" wouldn't be in there.

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 16, 2020, 09:05:41 AM
ab_grp, I was stumped by deglaze and deglazed as well. I even googled the words just to make sure that I wasn't imagining things! I got dizzied not because I thought that it was an actual word, but just because I tried that particular configuration.

No kidding! Me three (four?)!
I know it's a genus.