News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 04, 2020, 06:37:52 PM
There is always a 2-word solution. I didn't realize that at first - I thought woohoo, I made 5, I guess I win.

Yeah, lots of 3fers. What I have noticed so far after looking at my screenshots is that they all involve UM or MU words. I have tried to do other things with the M and/or U but keep coming back there. Even when I solve the rest of the LB without them, my little filler words are that pattern.

Curious what the final result will be. Off to pour some more wine and watch "Life of Brian."

Okay, thanks for the confirmation that it is always possible to get 2 words.  I have a bunch of contender words with "um" in them.  Not sure I'll get back to it tonight given the Chinese food awaiting, but I am interested too to see the solution.  Your evening sounds great.  Enjoy!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on December 04, 2020, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on December 04, 2020, 06:37:52 PM
There is always a 2-word solution. I didn't realize that at first - I thought woohoo, I made 5, I guess I win.

Yeah, lots of 3fers. What I have noticed so far after looking at my screenshots is that they all involve UM or MU words. I have tried to do other things with the M and/or U but keep coming back there. Even when I solve the rest of the LB without them, my little filler words are that pattern.

Curious what the final result will be. Off to pour some more wine and watch "Life of Brian."

Okay, thanks for the confirmation that it is always possible to get 2 words.  I have a bunch of contender words with "um" in them.  Not sure I'll get back to it tonight given the Chinese food awaiting, but I am interested too to see the solution.  Your evening sounds great.  Enjoy!

All this talk about food and spirits is distracting. Time for dessert and a drink.

I gave up on LB. Very often I look at the two words solution and just grind my teeth.

ab_grp

Well, I wouldn't have gotten the 2-word solution from yesterday, I don't think.  I didn't come too close to either of those words.  We'll see about today later.  Maybe a drink would help.  There are some areas of math/stats in which similar is useful!

I finally got to genius today in the bee, but it's been a tough time for some reason.  I feel like I'm missing some obvious stuff.

Langue_doc

I wouldn't have gotten the two words solution either. I looked for words where the y was the second letter, but couldn't find any because of the configuration of letters.

I did make it to genius today. The rest of the words and LB will have to wait until later.

ab_grp

I had "cyclical", but my other "y" words were "clumsy" and "family".  I figured it would be tough to start on a "y", so those ending in "y" would have to be the second word.  Didn't get anywhere with it, though.  I also had "factum", "scrum(s)", "sumac", "sacrum", trying to use the "u" and "m".  Oh well.

cathwen

I made genius today in SB, but was very annoyed that "hominin" was not accepted. 

I thought that today's LB was hard.  I'll go back to it later.  I don't often get the two words, but I usually get fewer than the number suggested.  Not today, though.  Maybe later...

ciao_yall

Yesterday - not even close!

Oh well, time to delete yesterday's screen shots and starting today's LB.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 05, 2020, 09:06:49 AM
I had "cyclical", but my other "y" words were "clumsy" and "family".  I figured it would be tough to start on a "y", so those ending in "y" would have to be the second word.  Didn't get anywhere with it, though.  I also had "factum", "scrum(s)", "sumac", "sacrum", trying to use the "u" and "m".  Oh well.

I had clumsy, muscles, turmeric (especially proud of that one) and others.

Langue_doc

Woohoo! Long first word, think plural, and short second word. Both quite commonly used.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 05, 2020, 10:11:30 AM
Woohoo! Long first word, think plural, and short second word. Both quite commonly used.

Lots of 3-fers over here, no 2-fers yet.

ab_grp

Huzzah! Thanks for the hints, too.

Ciao_yall, turmeric is a good one!

ciao_yall

Got it! But both words were 7 letters. So, probably more than one 2-fer.

Langue_doc

I was inspired by your word turmeric.

ciao_yall

Found another 2-fer combo that fit your pattern. Variation on my first one.

ab_grp

I finally got a 7 and 7 solution, so maybe that's the same as ciao_yall's.    Ooh wait, now I got one that's 10 and 4, in which the first word is a variation of the first of the 7-letter words in the other solution.  Thanks for all the hints!

As for the bee, we still had 20 some points left after comparing lists, and there were two words from the dictionary and two from the answers.