News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reener06

Well, I got to genius. Three words short of QB but I think I'm done. Not bad. I don't usually get QB or even close-I usually stop at genius, so I'll take it.

ciao_yall

Last night I flew out of bed with words for yesterday's SB in my mind... and none of them contained an "I" so not usable.

SB - hit Amazing and found one panagram on the first run. Now to LB....

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 12, 2020, 09:08:13 AM
Last night I flew out of bed with words for yesterday's SB in my mind... and none of them contained an "I" so not usable.

That is funny, but sorry the words didn't work out.  I have found myself in the same position at times.

Yesterday's LB flummoxed me.  I could not figure out any words with x that would work with one more word.  I think I had the other word in the solution, at least.  Not getting very far with today's, either, but I'll keep at it from time to time.

For today's bee, I am a little over 20 points shy of QB.  I know we've had these letters or similar recently, so I'm trying to recall the answers and do good book keeping. 

Langue_doc

I'm one word short of QB. As for LB, I didn't even come close to either word. I vaguely recall finding dominatrix in an earlier puzzle, but was looking for words with the x in the middle.

ciao_yall

Today's LB - very slow start. Not even finding those weird 3-letter words that at least get to a 7-word solution.

Yesterday I found DOMINATRIX at the beginning, and there was SCOLD so that was easy.

ciao_yall

SB - stuck again at Amazing.

LB - got a 3fer, considering that a win.

Langue_doc

Visualizing, I can understand. But grok? What the f*ck!!!

I'll probably make it to QB today. The list is boring though, just rearranging the same letters.

Quote from: ab_grp on December 12, 2020, 09:25:46 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on December 12, 2020, 09:08:13 AM

That is funny, but sorry the words didn't work out.  I have found myself in the same position at times.

I too come up with words that I'm convinced are going to work. Yesterday, the word 'tugboat' kept popping up in my mind, despite 'a' missing from the list.

Quote from: reener06 on December 11, 2020, 03:02:15 PM
Well, I got to genius. Three words short of QB but I think I'm done. Not bad. I don't usually get QB or even close-I usually stop at genius, so I'll take it.

I used to stop at genius until I came across this thread. Peer pressure seems to have kicked in, so now instead of looking at the solution the following day, I try to make it to QB.

ab_grp

I kept seeing "tugboat" yesterday, too.  And I'm with you, Langue_doc, on the peer pressure making me aspire to more! Particularly on LB, which I had never really played.  Now I want a 2-word solution or nothing.  I (again) did not get too close to the words yesterday and probably would not have come up with grok.  I figured one might end with "zing", but my candidates left too many other letters to deal with.

For the bee today, I've got about 27 points to go for QB.  I feel stuck in a pattern. 

Does anyone else have this happen: I sometimes get what seems to be a surprising word only to realize that, duh, it is an obvious word.  Yesterday I tried "both" but heard it in my head as rhyming with "goth" and was excited when it was accepted until, of course, I realized.  The other day I tried "thou" like short for thousand and then thought oh yeah... thou.  In Wordscapes yesterday I had "singe" and thought, well I guess if you singe something you are a singer and was happy that was accepted.  Not like you could pronounce that word differently or anything.  It just happens now and again and gives me a laugh.  This has happened when reading out loud to my husband as well.  "Legend" was hyphenated at the end of a line, and I was thinking what is a leg end?! Or pronouncing "Gee!" with a hard g.   

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 13, 2020, 08:23:56 AM
Visualizing, I can understand. But grok? What the f*ck!!!

My 3-fer included GROK. I kept playing with -IVING, -IZING... somehow didn't get VISUALIZING.

I used to stop at genius until I came across this thread. Peer pressure seems to have kicked in, so now instead of looking at the solution the following day, I try to make it to QB.

This thread is now one of my morning stops. I enjoy everyone's creative a subtle hints!

ab_grp

I got a 2-word solution for today's LB! Yay! It has been a few days since any kind of victorious feeling in that game.  Am available for hints if needed.  Maybe I can trudge on closer to QB now.

Langue_doc

Thanks for the offer, ab_grp. I'll take you up on it later this afternoon if I'm still desperate. I haven't tried today's puzzle yet but looked at it because I wanted to see the solution.

Several years ago, I met Will Shortz (of the crosswords) at an outdoor fair of sorts. He, naturally, was in the NY Times booth. I recall chatting with him and having him sign the crossword page in the magazine. I don't remember why I had the magazine--must have taken it along to read in the subway. I recall thinking that he looked very young for a crossword puzzle setter.

Gone are the days of taking the subway (they used to be much cleaner and safer, so I don't really miss them). Gone also are the days of street fairs.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 13, 2020, 09:30:58 AM
I got a 2-word solution for today's LB! Yay! It has been a few days since any kind of victorious feeling in that game.  Am available for hints if needed.  Maybe I can trudge on closer to QB now.

You rock! I came here to tell everyone I would have one if it weren't for the same darn letters on every side.

Several years ago, I met Will Shortz (of the crosswords) at an outdoor fair of sorts. He, naturally, was in the NY Times booth. I recall chatting with him and having him sign the crossword page in the magazine. I don't remember why I had the magazine--must have taken it along to read in the subway. I recall thinking that he looked very young for a crossword puzzle setter.

Will Shortz gave a talk on puzzles and the place was packed. My friend and I were fangirling like it was the Beatles 1964.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 13, 2020, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on December 13, 2020, 09:30:58 AM

You rock! I came here to tell everyone I would have one if it weren't for the same darn letters on every side.

Will Shortz gave a talk on puzzles and the place was packed. My friend and I were fangirling like it was the Beatles 1964.

Thanks! Good luck.  The same-side syndrome is a pain in the neck.  I just got lucky, I think.  And I envy both of you for your Will Shortz experiences! He has such an interesting background.  I've listened to a few podcasts he's been on but have never been in person with him.

ciao_yall

Got the 2fer. Woohoo! Also finished the crossword puzzle and the spiral puzzle in the print magazine.

Still stuck at "Amazing" for SB.

ab_grp

Yeah!! For SB, we got to within 8 points after comparing.  Should have picked up two of the final words, but I don't think we would have gotten the third without just trying stuff.