News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

"genius" and a 2fer.

Went to the comments board to brag about my 2fer - someone else got mine as well as hinting a few others so I'm LB'd up.

ab_grp

Langue_doc

QB! Only one weird word. Back to work now.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 06, 2021, 12:46:32 PM

Yeah! Congrats!  Husband finally made it to QB himself as well, and we each thought our final words were appropriate.

I think I just have to find some small things here or there to take care of if possible today. 

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on January 06, 2021, 01:06:20 PM

Yeah! Congrats!  Husband finally made it to QB himself as well, and we each thought our final words were appropriate.

I think I just have to find some small things here or there to take care of if possible today.

I think I can guess the final word. I'm always frustrated at the non-acceptance of willet, a perfectly "normal" and common shorebird, yet accepting the two not very commonly-used words in today's puzzle. In any case, yaaay!

(I'm a bit distracted by today's news, so don't think I'm going to get much work done.)

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 06, 2021, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on January 06, 2021, 01:06:20 PM

I think I can guess the final word. I'm always frustrated at the non-acceptance of willet, a perfectly "normal" and common shorebird, yet accepting the two not very commonly-used words in today's puzzle. In any case, yaaay!

(I'm a bit distracted by today's news, so don't think I'm going to get much work done.)

He and I had different final words, so you can probably figure out what both were!

Same here regarding news and work.  I finally unclenched my jaw enough to eat a quick sandwich and do some Duolingos, at least.

ciao_yall

Achieved QB with help from the NYT comments thread!

Was kind of anticlimactic. And my app still lists me as "genius" so good thing I took a screen shot of the QB to memorialize the moment.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 06, 2021, 05:19:15 PM
Achieved QB with help from the NYT comments thread!

Was kind of anticlimactic. And my app still lists me as "genius" so good thing I took a screen shot of the QB to memorialize the moment.

Wahoo! Weird about the app, but that kind of thing has happened to me before.  I'm glad you got a screen shot! By the way, my final word was "whew" and husband's was "whee".

I see the LB answers from yesterday were CLEANUP-PROVOST.   I got STUPOR-RELEVANCE.  What did others get? My answer was so clean that I thought it was the official one, but I guess the official one might try to reuse as few letters as possible.  The contender I had before relevance was provenance.

For the bee today, I'm at about 90% of total (219/242 or so), so I guess alpha bee so far? I was thinking maybe "baby bee" for 80%? Not sure I will make it all the way to QB, but I will give it a try.  Husband also got to genius + and has to go in to the office for a while, so we may end up cutting it short and just comparing since we both got to at least genius and at least a pangram, which are our okay-to-compare criteria.

Hopefully today will be a better day all around.  Happy solving, everyone!

Langue_doc

Made it to genius earlier this morning. I'm not sure if I have the patience to find the remaining words as today's seems to be a rather wordy puzzle.

Is there more than one pangram today? Given the number of remaining points after genius, I wouldn't be surprised to find another pangram.

ab_grp, (ETA) I had assumed that the last words were whee and whew. I thought though that yours would have been the former. My last word was weigh--it was quite a struggle to find this one as I had earlier found weight and the pangram without any effort. Alpha bee you are!

ciao_yall, woohoo on being crowned QB!

LB--my words were stupor and relevance as well. The words just jumped right out when I was looking at the puzzle. I had provenance as well when I tried to redo the puzzle later but couldn't find a second word.

Completed the crossword (took a long time a-solving) and the sudokus, which also took me longer than usual, last night.

ab_grp

Yay for genius, Langue_doc! It is a little wordy, and there are at least two pangrams.  I have found two, for what it's worth.  Not sure if there are others.  And it's frustrating when you have a longer word like weight but not a shorter part of it like weigh!

Today's crossword was a little time-consuming, even once things clicked.  Thursdays can be so much fun, haha.  I added Thursday (and Friday) back into my archive solving because sometimes they have some interesting tricks in them. 

I got the medium sudoku done just now in about 24 minutes with no errors, which is a great time for me.  Haven't tried hard yet. 

Three LB contenders so far, but no joy on mates yet.   I have noticed patterns of remaining letters in this puzzle and a couple others, but I haven't figured out how to use that yet or if it is just an artifact.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Langue_Doc my last word was "weigh" as well. One of those oddballs I overlooked. But wight? WTH?

LB - On my own I got punctuator-revels, then the comments board hinted out a few others - stupor-relevance and cleanup-provost.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 07, 2021, 09:37:29 AM
LB - On my own I got punctuator-revels, then the comments board hinted out a few others - stupor-relevance and cleanup-provost.

Interesting third solution!

We finally ended up comparing lists.  Husband had none to add, but I managed to find just one more word.  Got to within 15 points of QB but had to call it a day since it is unclear how long he will be at work and then we'll have night time stuff to do once he gets home.  Had a couple missing words that we probably should have gotten.  The total today is 241, by the way, not 242 as I guessed earlier (rounding... you never know if they'll go up or down despite the decimal, so I usually assume they round up to be safe, but it's important to know the correct total if you are aiming for QB so you can see what lengths of words might be left). 

Hopefully once I get the mister out the door I can get back to LB and start the hard sudoku.

ETA: Woot! Got a 2-fer on my fourth contender word.  Once I found that word, the mate was very easy to spot, luckily.

cathwen

Surprisingly, I got LB with little effort today—it was more a case of stumbling over the words than any brilliant insights on my part.    As for SB, I'm at 215 points—so, beyond genius, but not quite Alpha Bee!  Apparently there is a second pangram, but I have not found it.

I got to genius yesterday, but hardly glanced at LB.  I was glued to the TV most of the day watching the events unroll. 

ab_grp

Quote from: cathwen on January 07, 2021, 01:06:57 PM
Surprisingly, I got LB with little effort today—it was more a case of stumbling over the words than any brilliant insights on my part.    As for SB, I'm at 215 points—so, beyond genius, but not quite Alpha Bee!  Apparently there is a second pangram, but I have not found it.

I got to genius yesterday, but hardly glanced at LB.  I was glued to the TV most of the day watching the events unroll.

Yay on LB! And you are at about 89.2% of the total points, so very nearly alpha bee but certainly baby bee or whatever we are calling 80% for now.  Looks like if you get another point or two, you will cross the threshold! I think I got what might be the less obvious pangram first.  Not a word I would tend to use, nor do I think I have ever heard it used, though it is not foreign or what I would consider obscure.

I don't have a TV (well, not one with cable or hooked up to anything but the dvd player) but was glued to the online news all day, too.

Langue_doc

Yay to y'all solvers. I'm taking refuge from the mayhem in a 700+ page detective novel so haven't made any effort to get back to the puzzles.