News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 20, 2021, 06:13:11 PM
Dang, the proper noun-y word is actually a part of the anatomy, one that I know. For some strange reason, I kept thinking of the Trojan War, especially the quote from Dr. Faustus.

That was my final word! I realized I am more familiar with other versions of it but will have to keep an eye out for that one in the future.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on January 20, 2021, 06:26:31 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on January 20, 2021, 06:13:11 PM
Dang, the proper noun-y word is actually a part of the anatomy, one that I know. For some strange reason, I kept thinking of the Trojan War, especially the quote from Dr. Faustus.

That was my final word! I realized I am more familiar with other versions of it but will have to keep an eye out for that one in the future.

I think that was my final word as well. Crosswords are out--I mean published, so onward and upward. No LB for me tonight, unless inspiration strikes, which I think is quite unlikely.

ciao_yall

Morning!

LB Yesterday I got dug-glorification. My b4ss were fluctuatinng-ground, conflagration-nudging. There were some good 3fers: acidic-conflagration which left a "u" hanging, and tunic-conflagration which left a "d" hanging.

Official solution was "guardian-nonficitional" -  "fictional" is in one of my saved 3fers, as is "fornication."

Onward...

Langue_doc

Morning all. Today's SB was rather difficult even though the words I found so far are ones that we would consider familiar/current. It took me a lot of shuffling to get to above genius.

Crosswords and sudokus are done--I didn't care too much for today's puzzle.

I've given up on LB mainly due to time constraints. Vertex looks a bit complicated today as I've had to erase numerous incorrect links.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Just got right to Alpha Bee this morning so far.  But I am bugged... I swear there is a word that used to be accepted that isn't today? Husband agrees.  WTF, bee?!

Still working on the crossword.  I have something wrong, but given that it's a tricky Thursday I'm not sure if it's an answer I have wrong or a technical foul.  I'll work on it more later.

I thought for sure conflagration would lead to a solution yesterday but just could not make the remaining letters work without -ing being available.  Seems like the same woes that ciao_yall was beset by.  I also thought clarification or gratification might work, but same issue.

Good luck all around!

Parasaurolophus

Is it a six-letter word, perchance?

I've been struggling with this Bee, but that's not unusual of a morning. We'll see what the rest of the day brings!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 21, 2021, 08:50:22 AM
Is it a six-letter word, perchance?

I've been struggling with this Bee, but that's not unusual of a morning. We'll see what the rest of the day brings!

Mine is a 5-letter word.  So maybe more than one word has disappeared as others have been added to the "acceptable" list.  Good luck!

ab_grp

Finally made it to QB after recalling a couple words we have missed in the past.  Whew.  After, I looked at my database, and that word I mentioned has definitely been in there at least 6 times since I started the database. 

Also finally got the crossword sorted out and finished the medium sudoku.  I'm having the same experience today with the hard one that I did yesterday.  I think "is it just me, or is this a lot easier than usual?", and then you can probably guess what happens eventually.   A mistake, a loud sigh, backtracking, trying again.  Still no real luck with LB.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on January 21, 2021, 11:16:57 AM
Finally made it to QB after recalling a couple words we have missed in the past.  Whew.  After, I looked at my database, and that word I mentioned has definitely been in there at least 6 times since I started the database. 

Also finally got the crossword sorted out and finished the medium sudoku.  I'm having the same experience today with the hard one that I did yesterday.  I think "is it just me, or is this a lot easier than usual?", and then you can probably guess what happens eventually.   A mistake, a loud sigh, backtracking, trying again.  Still no real luck with LB.

Congrats on your QB! Is one of the words a four-letter one? That was my last word today, and it's a word that keeps recurring just like the word 'acai' which I've seen in numerous SBs. I don't think of this word as an independent word though.

I'm stuck on the vertex. It's almost complete, but I don't know how to undo the mistakes so I'll have to reset the puzzle and start all over again.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! My final word was a 4-letter word that has popped up somewhat recently and that I had to look up.  And there was another word of similar sort that I found very close to the end.  I'm guessing one of those is the one you're referring to.  Does this mean you also got QB? If so, congrats to you as well!  Good luck rectifying your vertex puzzle.

ciao_yall

Genius in SB, but nowhere in LB so far...

reener06

Worst day ever for me. I blame the red wine from celebrating yesterday. Stuck at nice in the bee, no pangram. It's just not happening. And I gave up halfway through the crossword. Really don't know what they are getting at.

On the plus side I did good work on an article and edited a student's thesis chapter and had a meeting, so all is not totally lost.

ciao_yall

A few weak 3fers and finally went up to the Crossword Comments crowd. Apparently there is only one solution today, so there we go. So many great words b4ss, which seemed to make it hard to get moving to play with words.

ab_grp

No luck for me in LB today, either, and not really any great contender words that left few remaining letters.  If there is only one solution, I guess it's a lot harder to find.

Reener06, I definitely have days like that.  And I didn't get what to do with the crossword completely for a while, so I had a mistake that was easier to fix once I knew.  But I also hear you on the red wine.  For me, that was yesterday, because I was up way too late (and had too much red wine) Tuesday night being both excited and fearful about what might transpire.  There's always more puzzling out there, for us, luckily! Tomorrow is another day.  If you didn't see the earlier note, tomorrow's bee will apparently be a challenge, so hopefully that is something to look forward to! And you got some real things accomplished!

Langue_doc

Tomorrow's crossword wasn't too bad, especially when compared to today's, so that's out of the way. It was relatively easy and rather entertaining for a Friday. I might get to the sudokus, at least the easy one.

reneer06, the crossword was the teeth-grinding kind. I got the weird (not logical) long words only because I'd found the other words first, so just filled in the letters without really knowing what I was doing.