News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April 8th eclipse and school closings

Started by sinenomine, April 02, 2024, 10:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinenomine

One school district in my area is closing at noon on April 6th due to the eclipse (we're not in the 100% totality area, but close). Have schools in other forumites' vicinities announced closings?
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Not to my knowledge.  We're pretty close to the path of totality as well.  No doubt some parents will pull their children from school to try to go somewhere where they can see it better.  I hope for their sake that they've made arrangements for viewing ahead of time, since public places in the path of totality are probably going to be swamped by out-of-state eclipse tourists. 

I'm actually planning to visit my parents, who live (barely) in the path of totality.  I've got to go there on business anyway, so the prospect of viewing the eclipse will be a bonus.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

EdnaMode

We're in the path of totality. Local public schools are closed on the day. My campus has gone mandatory remote learning because they are expecting the population of our town to possibly double and no one wants to deal with getting stuck in traffic.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

hmaria1609

No school closings here in the metro DC area.
Plenty of watch parties around the region--scroll down to see locations:
https://wtop.com/national/2024/04/what-to-know-about-next-weeks-total-solar-eclipse-in-the-us-mexico-and-canada/
I've seen solar eclipse glasses for sale. Public library systems are giving them out while supplies last.

apl68

Just what I was thinking.  The local Atwood's is selling them 2 for $3.  Or you could come by here and get them for free.  It's kind of sad to think about how many people are so out of touch with what we're doing here that they're paying for the glasses.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

the_geneticist

My cousin's live in the path of totality.  Their schools will be closed.  I'm not really sure the reason (traffic?).  There is a rumor that one reason for the closure is so if a kid looks into the sun & hurts their eyes, that the parents can't sue the school.

Liquidambar

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 02, 2024, 03:22:46 PMThere is a rumor that one reason for the closure is so if a kid looks into the sun & hurts their eyes, that the parents can't sue the school.

That's absolutely the reason in my area (partial eclipse zone).  Schools are either letting out early so parents can supervise their kids, or keeping the kids late so the kids have no opportunity to look at the sun.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

namazu

Quote from: Liquidambar on April 02, 2024, 08:02:01 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on April 02, 2024, 03:22:46 PMThere is a rumor that one reason for the closure is so if a kid looks into the sun & hurts their eyes, that the parents can't sue the school.

That's absolutely the reason in my area (partial eclipse zone).  Schools are either letting out early so parents can supervise their kids, or keeping the kids late so the kids have no opportunity to look at the sun.
Here as well.  Also to avoid chaos in the pick-up line at dismissal/eclipse time.  Secretly, I think/hope there's an astronomy nerd among the administration. 

It is a problem for families who need to find alternative childcare for the day, though.

dismalist

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 02, 2024, 03:22:46 PMMy cousin's live in the path of totality.  Their schools will be closed.  I'm not really sure the reason (traffic?).  There is a rumor that one reason for the closure is so if a kid looks into the sun & hurts their eyes, that the parents can't sue the school.

The residents of various countries have different ways of explaining why things should or should not be done:

In Italy: La legge.

In Germany: We've always done it that way. [Alternatively: We've never done it that way.]

In the US: Liability.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Kron3007

Our schools are closed.  The explanation I heard is that the eclipse is happening right at the end of school when children will be heading home, many unsupervised.  So they are saying it is for public health and safety.

I'm in Canada, maybe that's the difference?

We got some glasses and will take the kids out to see it.  Seems like a good family thing to do.

Larimar

No closings here. I'm in partial eclipse territory. Mr. Larimar and I will be among the eclipse travelers heading for the totality path. We made our arrangements months ago. Can't wait!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Liquidambar on April 02, 2024, 08:02:01 PM

Because kids don't have necks?

apl68

Our schools are staying open, and the teachers are now hitting us up for eclipse glasses.  They're flying out the door today.  Only a few more days left to get them.

jimbogumbo

All are closed in previous location and surroundings (around 400,000 people populate the area). Each with the express intent to let kids view without the nightmare of getting them all in and out at what in that area will be around 2:00.

Ruralguy

Yeah I think the real issue is transportation, not threat of law suits from eclipse viewing or darkness.