News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Who is in charge of your classroom?

Started by notmycircus, June 19, 2019, 02:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notmycircus

Not so long ago I was a professor in a SLAC in the field of education.  During the first day of class, and supported in the syllabus, I explained the professional behavior that would take place in our classroom: cell phones were off limits, punctuality was expected, attendance was expected, and assignments were to be completed on time.  The boundaries were set, and exceptions to the rules were laid out explicitly. 
My evaluations and ratings were always respectable and respectful.  I do not understand why there is so much discussion about these areas of classroom behavior and expectations.  If you are consistent, firm, and fair, and follow the rules while professing,  the class will manage itself.
As an adjunct I once had a class with a few on phones and a small group talking incessantly after I began class.  I asked them to leave, and they  stated they would contact their program advisor.  Interestingly enough, after I contacted their advisor and explained I would not tolerate their behavior, she came to class and said they were done acting that way.  Other students thanked me after class, stating that other profs alllowed the behaviors.

downer

I see pride, I see power, I see a badass mother who don't take no crap of of nobody.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

aside

Yes, deal with problematic student behavior head-on the first time it appears.  To do anything else is to enable the behavior and invite more.

Conjugate

Eh, I usually don't care about students who distract themselves in class, as long as they don't bother others. I may need to change my laissez-faire policy in light of new research that claims that when one student is using a cell phone (silently, as in texting) a certain number of nearby students are distracted.

Talking when I am talking, making noise that makes it hard for others to hear, or other distracting behaviors are different, of course.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε