News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Thread

Started by hmaria1609, December 15, 2020, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

On the old fora, we had a winter thread/check in (or 2 or 3).  I checked the "back pages" here and didn't see one. Here goes:
We're getting our 1st snowfall here in the metro Baltimore/DC area starting tomorrow morning:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2020/12/wednesdays-snow-likely-to-be-most-significant-in-2-years/
Some areas will see more snow than others.  Fortunately I'm not going to the library so will be home tomorrow.

Langue_doc

Here tomorrow, gone by Thursday. I saw a convoy of salt trucks today, always a harbinger of having to dig out, and inaccessible spots in parking lots because of the haphazard plowing after the storm. Outages are a possibility in my neck of the woods. I don't have to go anywhere, so don't have to worry about digging out. Here is the National Weather Service advisory https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=91a00386a80b625a&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather and the pedagogic sounding article from the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/15/us/noreaster-weather-snow.html

dismalist

Yeah, well, I have enough wine for the duration.

The neologism "wintry mix" bothers me.

Almost as much as power outages, which are so widespread only because of the regulatees sleeping with the regulators.

Sincerely hope no one is hurt or even put out much.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

It actually looks and feels like winter here--no longer a given in December.  "Like winter" here doesn't usually involve snow, though.  The northern part of the state has gotten several inches of snow.  Elsewhere there have been reports of flurries. 

Here, not a single flake.  It's been several years since we last had any snow whatsoever.  In a place that once reliably got some at least once a year.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Puget

Storm starting tonight, with a possible foot plus of snow by tomorrow afternoon. This morning: seemingly everyone in the neighborhood running their snow blowers to make sure they are working. Me, I prefer my human powered shovel-- good exercise. Though I realize I may feel differently when I'm older.

The best part is it will stay cold after the storm passes so I can probably get out on my snow shoes and/or cross-country skis this weekend.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

cathwen

We're supposed to get a foot or so of snow between this afternoon and Thursday.  I imagine we'll be plowed/dug out by Friday.  I have nowhere to go, so I'm planning to hunker down with hot chocolate and perhaps some cookies.  I always love the first real snow of the season!  After that, it sparks less joy.

apl68

Quote from: cathwen on December 16, 2020, 07:24:36 AM
We're supposed to get a foot or so of snow between this afternoon and Thursday.  I imagine we'll be plowed/dug out by Friday.  I have nowhere to go, so I'm planning to hunker down with hot chocolate and perhaps some cookies.  I always love the first real snow of the season!  After that, it sparks less joy.

That was the great thing about growing up in a place where it typically snowed once a year. 

Children here now literally barely know what snow looks like.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Harlow2

1 fluffy inch so far in the southern reaches of the Philly metro area.  It's gorgeous. Supposed to rain later and turn into frozen slushiness tonight. Been a couple of years without measurable snow.

spork

Quote from: Harlow2 on December 16, 2020, 11:57:08 AM
1 fluffy inch so far in the southern reaches of the Philly metro area.  It's gorgeous. Supposed to rain later and turn into frozen slushiness tonight. Been a couple of years without measurable snow.

Interesting. I attended an early February conference in Philadelphia, I think 2010, when the city got maybe two feet of snow overnight. We trudged to a nearby Afghan restaurant for dinner; it was the only place near the hotel that seemed to be open. Run by an interesting young woman. We had a nice chat.

Forecast here is for a foot of snow. Announcement went out that the university is closed tomorrow. 
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

hmaria1609

Snow started late morning so I got my morning walk done. It was lovely to watch the snow fall. Earlier this evening as we shoveled the driveway, it changed over to rain. I strapped a cover on my front windshield last night.
The local newspaper website reports we got close to 7" in the county. Elsewhere around the DC region:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2020/12/dc-region-braces-for-winters-first-major-snow/
An early white Christmas! Plus it's nicer to see the outdoor Christmas decorations and lights by snowfall at night.

Stay safe and warm!

FishProf

The big storm has begun.  Schools are cancelled or remote, and everyone here is safe and secure.  The cats are pressed against the windows twitching with excitement.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

i miss the colder temperature of some places I have lived. Ten degrees difference means the snow is lighter weight, has less water in it. And instead of ice and slush everywhere, you have pretty snow. Until March.

sinenomine

I woke to about a foot of snow on the ground, and plenty more coming down. It's going to be cold out there for the shoveling and car clearing!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

It's snowed, and it's snowing.

Very glad to have no reason to go out.

Yesterday AM I made myself get up early enough to go the store and do the next three weeks' primary shopping.

Today I'm thanking my "yesterday self" for being so diligent.

So many things to do.

So very glad shoveling snow isn't one of those things.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

About a foot and still snowing here as well (or maybe "here' is the same place!).

Per usual my retired neighbors cleared both our sidewalks and a path up my driveway with their big walk-behind snow blower before I was even up-- they seem to enjoy it or at least I can't convince them that they don't need to do it and I'm really OK with the shovel, so I just thank them and compensate them with lots of garden produce in the summer.

I still need to go out and do the front walk and steps in case there is mail/deliveries, and we'll see if I can get the new snowfall shoveled this afternoon before they get the blower out again. 
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes