How Do You Deal with Family Members who Subscribe to Conspiracy Theories?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, May 09, 2021, 10:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on May 11, 2021, 03:04:26 PM
It's a mistake trying to debate people who have constructed a self-identity based on willful ignorance.

Yep yep.

smallcleanrat

I know that arguing against people's political or religious opinions can be taken personally.

But why dig your heels in over a factoid about ants?

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I took an AP Psychology class in high school. We were learning about sleep disorders, among them sleepwalking.

'The technical term for sleepwalking,' said our teacher, 'is snombulism.'

'Snombulism?' said young Ergative. 'That doesn't sound right. Teacher, I thought the word was somnambulism.'

'No,' said the teacher, 'it's snombulism.'

So young Ergative went home, fetched a dictionary, turned it to the page where 'somnambulism' was defined, and showed it to the teacher.

'Oh,' said the teacher, 'I was using a different dictionary.'

Uh-huh, thought young Ergative, sure you were. And that was the day that young Ergative decided this AP Psychology class was terrible and not worth spending any more time on. It was clear that the teacher preferred willful ignorance over actually correcting errors in the face of literal dictionary evidence.

Myword

Agreed. They are way off the deep end, and is so many students, people just don't want to learn! You can't teach them anything because they are too stupid to correct mistakes.

I have a friend, Ph.D. professor who talks like he knows everything. He thinks global warming is a conspiracy began by scientists and weather experts who only want grant money. But he is very anti-science,  anti-government pro religion. He also thinks the Moon Landing in 1969 is a fake. The media conspired this story. Well, I watched this myself on TV. To say this is to ridicule and shame brave astronauts and NASA. (This theory has been around many decades.) He also thinks Trump won the election and accepts this big lie. His Ph.D. is an elite university.

My mother with her wacky anti intellectual notions was also grossly illogical. All fallacious.
    This is a collapse of critical thinking, totally. I taught this. They have no idea how to assess the truth and don't even want to try. For their own ego, these people must think they are right.

Jonathan Swift:   you cannot reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place.

mahagonny

Quote from: Myword on May 12, 2021, 07:48:58 AM

Agreed. They are way off the deep end, and is so many students, people just don't want to learn! You can't teach them anything because they are too stupid to correct mistakes.

I have a friend, Ph.D. professor who talks like he knows everything. He thinks global warming is a conspiracy began by scientists and weather experts who only want grant money. But he is very anti-science,  anti-government pro religion. He also thinks the Moon Landing in 1969 is a fake. The media conspired this story. Well, I watched this myself on TV. To say this is to ridicule and shame brave astronauts and NASA. (This theory has been around many decades.) He also thinks Trump won the election and accepts this big lie. His Ph.D. is an elite university.

My mother with her wacky anti intellectual notions was also grossly illogical. All fallacious.
    This is a collapse of critical thinking, totally. I taught this. They have no idea how to assess the truth and don't even want to try. For their own ego, these people must think they are right.

Jonathan Swift:   you cannot reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place.

What makes you think you know this (ego motive?) Of course when people square off in debate it may go downhill to a reptile brain thing. But people are genuinely afraid of the new liberal orthodoxy.

ciao_yall

There is also something about the "just in case" mindset. They are afraid to be considered suckers so if they profess to not believe something, then they don't have to discover they might be wrong.

ergative

Quote from: ciao_yall on May 12, 2021, 03:21:26 PM

There is also something about the "just in case" mindset. They are afraid to be considered suckers so if they profess to not believe something, then they don't have to discover they might be wrong.

That doesn't really work, though--because you can be a sucker for not believing something that's true or for believing something that's false. This basis for illogical belief is not based on sound logical principles!

Caracal

Quote from: ciao_yall on May 12, 2021, 03:21:26 PM

Maybe, but I think conspiracy theories come out of deep distrust. After Watergate, political conspiracy theories became much more common. After all, there really were a series of plots involving highly placed people in the government and the President. It made it much easier to believe all kinds of things might be true, including that the government had faked the moon landing.

You can read all these documents about pharmaceutical companies trying to sell as many opioids as they could and trying to convince everyone they were safe even though they knew they were highly addictive. Does that mean Covid Vaccines are dangerous and part of a plot? No, it doesn't, but you can see where conspiratorial ideas come from.

Cheerful

Quote from: Anselm on May 09, 2021, 06:06:12 PM
Learn to accept that some minds will not be changed and there is no sense harming family bonds over these kinds of disagreements.

+1

There's so much fear, distrust, emotion, anger, confusion, depression, anxiety, fatigue, and many loud voices these days.  Maybe just listen a little and let loved ones vent.  No need to educate or try to convince them when emotions are on fire all around.  Try to understand why they might feel the way they feel (though you may disagree strongly) and move on to other topics.

Cheerful

Caracal

Cheerful

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Caracal

Quote from: Cheerful on May 13, 2021, 04:43:53 PM
Quote from: Caracal on May 13, 2021, 04:38:55 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on May 13, 2021, 03:36:14 PM
About that moon thing...how come we've never gone back?

We did.

In 1972 and not since then, right?

Yeah, although apparently they are planning a crewed mission that would happen in the next few years. The Moon Landing hoax theory never made much sense to me. It isn't like the whole thing is technically infeasible. We can send rockets into space. The moon isn't really that far away. Also, it would be weird to imagine that the Soviets wouldn't have been able to figure out that the whole thing was a fake and in the context of the Cold War they would have been pretty excited to expose a massive American fraud.

Sorry, I've obviously been watching For All Mankind...