Main Menu

Trivial Irrelevant Aggravations

Started by sprout, October 03, 2019, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: wareagle on April 07, 2021, 08:40:11 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 07, 2021, 07:07:42 AM
Quote from: wareagle on April 07, 2021, 06:37:58 AM
My secretary has a computer that was last used by Noah to check in the animals.  We cannot get it onto the internet.  She is, therefore, unable to do any work at all.  And IT won't upgrade it.

Wow, what reason is IT using to not upgrade it?

The secretaries get the worst of the worst.  Everyone is on a five-year cycle, and then the five-year old computer goes to the secretaries and work-study students.  This one is on its second re-cycle, which means it's at least ten years old.  As long as it turns on, they won't replace it.  I might drop a heavy object on it by accident.

I can remember when I worked for an obscure office in a big university library that we were one of the places that got the old equipment whenever there was an upgrade.  Mainly I remember the ancient printers.  Twice I thought the office where I worked was finally going to get a good new printer, only to find that we were getting yet another of those antiques.  It made me wonder whether the university had a warehouse full of them somewhere.  Eventually they ran out of them, and we finally got something better.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on April 07, 2021, 10:33:03 AM
My secretary has a computer that was last used by Noah to check in the animals.  We cannot get it onto the internet.  She is, therefore, unable to do any work at all.  And IT won't upgrade it.

The secretaries get the worst of the worst.  Everyone is on a five-year cycle, and then the five-year old computer goes to the secretaries and work-study students.  This one is on its second re-cycle, which means it's at least ten years old.  As long as it turns on, they won't replace it.  I might drop a heavy object on it by accident.

I can remember when I worked for an obscure office in a big university library that we were one of the places that got the old equipment whenever there was an upgrade.  Mainly I remember the ancient printers.  Twice I thought the office where I worked was finally going to get a good new printer, only to find that we were getting yet another of those antiques.  It made me wonder whether the university had a warehouse full of them somewhere.  Eventually they ran out of them, and we finally got something better.

Was the printer like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvME9pEmU5A

Wahoo Redux

I grabbed the wrong jar from the 'fridge and put spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce on the homemade pizza.

Why God, why!?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Should be fine. Just add a bit of baking soda and swirl it around a bit.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 07, 2021, 11:25:27 AM
I grabbed the wrong jar from the 'fridge and put spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce on the homemade pizza.

Why God, why!?

I have never once purchased pizza sauce for pizza, I always just use marinara or whatever tomato sauce I have. How is pizza sauce different anyway?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Puget on April 07, 2021, 12:25:12 PM

Why God, why!?

I have never once purchased pizza sauce for pizza, I always just use marinara or whatever tomato sauce I have. How is pizza sauce different anyway?

Saltier, less sweet.

And it is against the laws of nature. 

The starches should never mix, so neither should their sauces.  I don't care what them "liberals" say.

OneMoreYear

Can she use someone else's computer in the short term (before it's replaced when you drop a heavy object on it)?  In my department, there are dozens of desktop computers not being used right now b/c most of us (almost all faculty and some of the staff) are working remotely at least part time.   

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 07, 2021, 10:58:26 AM
Quote from: apl68 on April 07, 2021, 10:33:03 AM

Was the printer like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvME9pEmU5A

Hey, it did look kind of like that!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Puget

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 07, 2021, 12:31:36 PM

Why God, why!?

Saltier, less sweet.

The starches should never mix, so neither should their sauces.  I don't care what them "liberals" say.

Huh, I don't think my tomato sauces are sweet, but then I get "natural" ones that don't have added sugar, or make my own with garden tomatoes also without added sugar. I shall continue happily violating the laws of nature.

Edited to add: Pesto is the best pizza sauce. Home-made pesto, fresh mozzarella, and garden tomatoes on a home-made crust. That is pizza as nature intended!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Puget on April 07, 2021, 02:14:52 PM

Why God, why!?

Saltier, less sweet.

Huh, I don't think my tomato sauces are sweet, but then I get "natural" ones that don't have added sugar, or make my own with garden tomatoes also without added sugar. I shall continue happily violating the laws of nature.

Edited to add: Pesto is the best pizza sauce. Home-made pesto, fresh mozzarella, and garden tomatoes on a home-made crust. That is pizza as nature intended!

Progressive Pizza! 

Outrage!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Why God, why!?

Saltier, less sweet.

Yum. Yum. Yum.

Puget

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 07, 2021, 03:17:46 PM

Why God, why!?

Saltier, less sweet.

Progressive Pizza! 

Outrage!

My good doctor, you have challenged the honor of my pizza: I shall expect to see you on the quad at dawn. Squirt guns of our preferred pizza sauces at 10 paces, and we'll see who has sauce on their face then!

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Puget on April 07, 2021, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 07, 2021, 03:17:46 PM

Why God, why!?

Saltier, less sweet.

Progressive Pizza! 

Outrage!

My good doctor, you have challenged the honor of my pizza: I shall expect to see you on the quad at dawn. Squirt guns of our preferred pizza sauces at 10 paces, and we'll see who has sauce on their face then!

Ummm...yeah, uh...love to...actually, gotta be out the country...family emergency...hang-glider accident, you know...uh...

<runs away!>

wareagle

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 07, 2021, 12:33:28 PM

Can she use someone else's computer in the short term (before it's replaced when you drop a heavy object on it)?  In my department, there are dozens of desktop computers not being used right now b/c most of us (almost all faculty and some of the staff) are working remotely at least part time.

For now, it is kinda working.  It has an ancient monitor with a square display, and makes ominous noises every now and then.  I had to find a 25-foot ethernet cord since it can't manage wi-fi.  That's actually okay, though.  It often loses Zoom calls, or at least the video portion.  This past year has taxed it beyond its capabilities, and aged it severely.  Kinda like most of us, I'd guess.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

ergative

I have a small irritation on the inside of my lower lip, exactly where my top teeth touch it when I say words beginning with 'f' or 'v'. I'm sitting here trying to keep my tongue thrust forward between my teeth and my lower lip, and it's making my tongue muscles sore. But if I try to use my teeth to keep my tongue in place to give the muscles a rest then my tongue starts hurting from the bite pressure. Overall I have a sad mouth today.