Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 27, 2020, 08:06:46 PM
FLOTUS
POTUS

and probably SCOTUS?

It's kind of odd that the "OTUS" part is what makes them different from other countries, but the terms, (POTUS, FLOTUS, SCOTUS), are only used within the US, i.e. in communication with people for whom those would be assumed.
It takes so little to be above average.

aside

Some of the above reminded me of another one:  deliverable, as in "The deliverables we expect from this committee's work are ..."

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on September 28, 2020, 05:09:08 AM
Quote from: Harlow2 on September 27, 2020, 06:58:57 PM
Creatives.  Something about turning that often meaningless adjective into a noun just grates. Why not call us artists or musicians or whatever?
Weary when wary is meant

In Hollywood, "talent" is a noun used by people in production. It is used to describe actors and writers, who are the material used in their product. The term is used to dehumanize the raw material a bit, while at the same time fluffing the talent's egos.

My wife, the doctor, working in a hospital, is confronted with a middle management group called "talent management". Now there's a contradiction in terms!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

bacardiandlime

"Receipts", when used to mean "evidence" - usually in the form of screenshots.

Not trendy, but the word "methodology". I've yet to read an academic article where the author couldn't have just said "method" or "approach".

Langue_doc

QuotePosted by: marshwiggle
« on: September 28, 2020, 05:22:40 AM »Insert Quote
FLOTUS
POTUS

and probably SCOTUS?

It's kind of odd that the "OTUS" part is what makes them different from other countries, but the terms, (POTUS, FLOTUS, SCOTUS), are only used within the US, i.e. in communication with people for whom those would be assumed.

These words have an interesting history, going back to the days of the telegraph, courtesy of Merriam-Webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/scotus-potus-flotus

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 29, 2020, 01:36:37 PM
QuotePosted by: marshwiggle
« on: September 28, 2020, 05:22:40 AM »Insert Quote
FLOTUS
POTUS

and probably SCOTUS?

These words have an interesting history, going back to the days of the telegraph, courtesy of Merriam-Webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/scotus-potus-flotus

Interesting

Occasional nonce-usages of -OTUS will come up, such as COTUS (constitution) and TOTUS (teleprompter, in a dig at President Obama's ostensible use of them). Time will tell if additional -OTUS words continue to join our language.

I'm sorry; COTUS is just too close to COITUS to catch on.

It takes so little to be above average.

fourhats

QuoteMy wife, the doctor, working in a hospital, is confronted with a middle management group called "talent management". Now there's a contradiction in terms!

"Talent management" is used in university administration too. It's used in HR to refer to attracting and keeping good candidates, among other things. There are now people with that title in academia.

ab_grp

I am getting tired of seeing "react", as in "Celebs react to So and So's Baby News!" or, on LinkedIn, "Be the first to react." 

dismalist

Impacted! I was impacted by the loss of electricity. How about "I was affected by the loss of electricity"?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

aside

I was impacted by a spinach and cheese casserole.

Vkw10

Quote from: aside on October 04, 2020, 07:07:38 PM

I hope you did not suffer burns or contusions.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mahagonny

Multicultural and multiculturalism.  The words, and fact that they are mantras.

apl68

Quote from: Vkw10 on October 04, 2020, 08:04:29 PM
Quote from: aside on October 04, 2020, 07:07:38 PM

I hope you did not suffer burns or contusions.

Sounds like the impact was probably more internal.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ergative

Ludic.

It's extremely trendy in the Times Literary Supplement, and it's getting on my nerves. I'm not sure it actually means anything.

Treehugger

Not trendy, but just an incorrect word choice that has annoyed me recently and that I just read in the NYTimes:

QuoteThe President is charging into unchartered territory.

Nope. "Uncharted," not "unchartered." Into an unmapped territory, not into a territory without a constitution, although ... hmmm..... now that I think about it, maybe that was some kind of Freudian slip on the part of the NYTimes.