News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

QuoteObserving different cultures and different historical periods shows that who counts as "us" and who counts as "them" is not remotely consistent. I was just watching a show set in Scotland circa 1950. The "other" despised group are Irish travelers, despite  the fact that both groups are white, speak the same language, and are basically the same religion (although one group is Protestant and one is Catholic.) Making an arbitrary "oppression hierarchy" that is projected back through all time completely ignores reality.

Hell, when I was growing up in the Bronx things were exactly like that -- Irish against the Italians, Italians against the Puerto Ricans. Actually, the Irish against everybody else. There was fighting, but without weapons.

Junior High School was an experience!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on February 06, 2021, 11:18:53 AM
QuoteObserving different cultures and different historical periods shows that who counts as "us" and who counts as "them" is not remotely consistent. I was just watching a show set in Scotland circa 1950. The "other" despised group are Irish travelers, despite  the fact that both groups are white, speak the same language, and are basically the same religion (although one group is Protestant and one is Catholic.) Making an arbitrary "oppression hierarchy" that is projected back through all time completely ignores reality.

Hell, when I was growing up in the Bronx things were exactly like that -- Irish against the Italians, Italians against the Puerto Ricans. Actually, the Irish against everybody else. There was fighting, but without weapons.

Junior High School was an experience!

Every school at every level any place on Earth?

dismalist

"off of", as in the drugstore is off of Route 1. How about is "on" Route 1?

"out of", as in my friend is based out  of Atlanta. How about is based "in" Atlanta?

I could go on. I appreciate that language changes, but what is being gained here? There are more words, not fewer, to describe a phenomenon. As in Amadeus: Too many notes!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Cheerful

"this space" or "in this space" to refer to a sector, issue-area, or problem.

"We need more enrollments in this space."

"We need more careful thinking in this space."

"We're doing new things in this space."

"There are huge opportunities for return on investment in this space."

dismalist

"tools" is now used for things that are not tools, e.g. vaccine is a tool to stem the epidemic. And they are stored in a toolbox, no less.

The tool box is in a certain space, too, I guess.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on February 11, 2021, 11:24:05 AM
"tools" is now used for things that are not tools, e.g. vaccine is a tool to stem the epidemic. And they are stored in a toolbox, no less.

I've been using this terminology in a similarly expansive way in place of the previously common "arsenal". We are not waging war, so that seemed much worse.

Hibush

Quote from: Cheerful on February 11, 2021, 11:20:41 AM
"this space" or "in this space" to refer to a sector, issue-area, or problem.

Academic organizations that choose that terminology tend also to have administrative titles like "Chief XXX Officer." It must feel trendier than Associate Vice Provost for XXX, but it sounds stupid.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on February 11, 2021, 02:15:51 PM

I've been using this terminology in a similarly expansive way in place of the previously common "arsenal". We are not waging war, so that seemed much worse.

Well, in case of war, arsenal does sound a lot better. :-)

The Venetian Arsenal is a lot better than the Venetian toolbox. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

This is really old though. Tools of the trade dates back to the early 1800s at least.

I've heard it used in baseball in place of attributes (see 5 tool player) since I was a kid in the early 1960s.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 11, 2021, 03:36:48 PM

This is really old though. Tools of the trade dates back to the early 1800s at least.

I've heard it used in baseball in place of attributes (see 5 tool player) since I was a kid in the early 1960s.

Sure, when tools of the trade involves actual tools. :-)

The baseball example is what I object to. I will not use the term in baseball! :-)

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on February 11, 2021, 04:19:37 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 11, 2021, 03:36:48 PM

Sure, when tools of the trade involves actual tools. :-)

The baseball example is what I object to. I will not use the term in baseball! :-)

I'm cool with not liking or using it. I'm objecting to calling it trendy:-)

wareagle

Did anyone mention "adulting" yet?
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

dismalist

Quote from: wareagle on February 12, 2021, 02:46:31 PM

Mercy, hadn't heard or read that one yet.

Because "adulting" means "acting like an adult", "whiting" must be next.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on February 12, 2021, 02:57:31 PM
Quote from: wareagle on February 12, 2021, 02:46:31 PM

Mercy, hadn't heard or read that one yet.

Because "adulting" means "acting like an adult", "whiting" must be next.

Voting while white...https://www.vox.com/2020/11/7/21551364/white-trump-voters-2020

ab_grp

"Unfortunate incident" as applied to an appalling situation that likely had numerous foreshadowing incidents.  ETA a link to the unfortunate incident I'm talking about: https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/communities/ventura/2021/02/19/oxnard-college-professor-michael-abram-put-leave-after-viral-video