News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

I've always found instinctual to be annoying and unnecessary.  Instinctive is sufficient.

Also, it sounds like victual.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ergative

Quote from: FishProf on May 07, 2021, 09:37:04 AM
I've always found instinctual to be annoying and unnecessary.  Instinctive is sufficient.

'Instittle'?

FishProf

I'd like it better like that

Hibush

Quote from: FishProf on May 07, 2021, 09:37:04 AM

What we eat instinctively? I can see a new diet book with that title.

<obpedant> It looks like victual. Sounds completely different.</obpedant>

Sauvignon Blanc

Okay, maybe not "trendy," but I hate "paradigm."

dismalist

Quote from: Sauvignon Blanc on May 10, 2021, 11:21:41 AM

Anybody got change for a paradigm?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Quote from: dismalist on May 10, 2021, 11:22:53 AM
Quote from: Sauvignon Blanc on May 10, 2021, 11:21:41 AM

Anybody got change for a paradigm?

Surely somebody does.  After all, paradigms shift a lot.  It's what they do!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Economizer

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Myword

I hate-----overusing evil, toxic, iconic, narcissist, red flags, "heart of"-- dysfunctional, hilarious, awesome, sexist, racist and ironically, the word hate itself. Billion dollar corporations are now "evil". ha ha. And everything is iconic, whatever that means.

FishProf

Quote from: Hibush on May 10, 2021, 06:41:12 AM
<obpedant> It looks like victual. Sounds completely different.</obpedant>

I did not know that.  I know vittles.  Never knew the victual spelling was the same.

So, thanks.

the_geneticist

Mentee.
As in "you will all be assigned to a mentor.  Mentees should be contacted by their mentor within a week."

The word they ought to use is protégé. Mentee makes it sound like you're a tiny copy or offshoot of the mentor.

apl68

"Gaslighting."  I understand that it's a problem.  I've had someone do it to me before.  However, I get the impression that some people are starting to make accusations of "gaslighting" any time they hear any criticism or other uncongenial feedback directed at themselves.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

sinenomine

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

lightning

Quote from: sinenomine on May 25, 2021, 09:49:51 AM
Iterative.

"Iterative" was trendy and annoying ten years ago, but for some reason, usage of the word escaped ridicule until recently.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on May 25, 2021, 09:33:16 AM
"Gaslighting."  I understand that it's a problem.  I've had someone do it to me before.  However, I get the impression that some people are starting to make accusations of "gaslighting" any time they hear any criticism or other uncongenial feedback directed at themselves.

This is just what happens with the usage of anything ending in "-ist" or "-phobe"; it's a preemptive dismissal of anything a person says by the implication that they are of bad moral character. (As though Harvey Weinstein saying "2+2=4" would automatically make the statement unbelievable and unworthy of consideration of its veracity.)
It takes so little to be above average.