News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Sourced!

As in: "Enjoy our full breakfast made with locally sourced ingredients".

How about just "made with local ingredients"?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Or, "I am sourcing this job...." from a temp agency email.

You're....what???....

Oh, you're recruiting for it.

Why not say that?

--------meanwhile-------

My beef du moment:

If everything's "amazing," soon nothing is "amazing."

I'm underwhelmed by the number of "amazing" things I'm being asked to attend to in online articles, at present.

-----and-----

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 25, 2021, 09:28:32 AM
Mentee.
As in "you will all be assigned to a mentor.  Mentees should be contacted by their mentor within a week."

The word they ought to use is protégé. Mentee makes it sound like you're a tiny copy or offshoot of the mentor.

That word always makes me think of sea cows.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fishbrains

"Okay, let's do this thing!" is starting to wear pretty thin on me, especially coming from people my own age (later 50's).   
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

dismalist

Meaningful.

I appreciate that that's generally a kosher word, but I began to notice its overuse a few years ago. Now I came across a college's propaganda that promised meaningful success.

Well, yeah!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Quote from: dismalist on June 13, 2021, 02:10:23 PM
Meaningful.

I appreciate that that's generally a kosher word, but I began to notice its overuse a few years ago. Now I came across a college's propaganda that promised meaningful success.

Well, yeah!

Meaningful success as opposed to a Pyrrhic victory, I guess.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

Quote from: dismalist on June 13, 2021, 02:10:23 PM
Now I came across a college's propaganda that promised meaningful success.

Is there any other kind?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

fishbrains

Quote from: dismalist on May 28, 2021, 08:56:02 PM
Sourced!

I'll add "clean" when used in terms of food. The people who pick your organic vegetables don't wash their hands after taking a dump in the field any more than the people who pick the non-organic veggies. The cooks in restaurants that serve "clean" food aren't much better in terms of hygiene. By all means, we should eat less processed foods, but "clean"? Really?
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

dismalist

Quote from: fishbrains on June 15, 2021, 02:53:30 PM
Sourced!

I'll add "clean" when used in terms of food. The people who pick your organic vegetables don't wash their hands after taking a dump in the field any more than the people who pick the non-organic veggies. The cooks in restaurants that serve "clean" food aren't much better in terms of hygiene. By all means, we should eat less processed foods, but "clean"? Really?

Goodness, I hadn't come across that term used in conjunction with food before. Some googling yields the Mayo Clinic -- yes, the Mayo Clinic -- opining on what is best to eat: Mayo Food

I think they mean for people to eat healthy foods, or to eat healthily. That last word clearly has one too many syllables, so healthily becomes clean in contemporary English. No wonder nobody in America speaks English! Like no way, duh.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

lilyb

QuoteI'll add "clean" when used in terms of food. The people who pick your organic vegetables don't wash their hands after taking a dump in the field any more than the people who pick the non-organic veggies. The cooks in restaurants that serve "clean" food aren't much better in terms of hygiene. By all means, we should eat less processed foods, but "clean"? Really?

Now we have influencers like Gwyneth Paltrow calling certain overpriced sunscreens "clean." As dermatologists pointed out, a good sunscreen is one with a high SPF that people apply properly.

Is there no end to her daft ideas and products (i.e., the jade vaginal egg)? I'm always happy to see doctors shut down her foolishness.

Hibush

Quote from: fishbrains on June 15, 2021, 02:53:30 PM
Sourced!

I see "clean" used even more abstractly for food. Ethically clean (not ethnically cleansed!) as in not exploiting labor and protecting the environment.

BTW, the taking a dump in the field is pretty much gone. When many farmers take a hit of tens of millions of dollars every time someone else causes an outbreak, that kind of thing stops fast. Farm portapotties have handwashing stations on the outside so everyone can see that you don't skip that step.

Langue_doc

Here is "source" again, in a NYT article on motels: "...custom headboards and bedspreads were sourced from independent designers".

The excerpt is from the caption below the third photo in the article https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/16/travel/motel-hotel-demand-reputation.html

I stopped reading after seeing "source" used in such a pretentious manner.

fishbrains

Quote from: Hibush on June 16, 2021, 03:54:21 PM

BTW, the taking a dump in the field is pretty much gone. When many farmers take a hit of tens of millions of dollars every time someone else causes an outbreak, that kind of thing stops fast. Farm portapotties have handwashing stations on the outside so everyone can see that you don't skip that step.

Good to know! I was using dated knowledge. Back in the day, we couldn't have said this.

mahagonny

Hibush

Quote from: Langue_doc on June 17, 2021, 06:06:04 AM
Here is "source" again, in a NYT article on motels: "...custom headboards and bedspreads were sourced from independent designers".

The excerpt is from the caption below the third photo in the article https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/16/travel/motel-hotel-demand-reputation.html

I stopped reading after seeing "source" used in such a pretentious manner.

Sourcing is a critical part of supply chain management. Covid disruptions caused many businesses to figure out new places to get parts, component, ingredients etc. Sourcing in that context has been very much in the news. Granted, sourcing custom bedspreads sounds a lot more pretentious than sourcing the right size cardboard box.

Cheerful

{PC Alert.}

From CDC:  Pregnant people should get vaxxed.