News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: Cheerful on June 18, 2021, 02:27:24 PM
From CDC:  Pregnant people should get vaxxed.

And my wife, the doctor, informed me that babies no longer breast feed, they chest feed.

Well, it's all consistent.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

dismantle

No overused word like this one that highlights as well the fact that there are very few solutions, mostly tradeoffs. The idea is supposed to be 'dismantle this and build something better.' But what they propose to build often doesn't sound too promising.

Myword

ICONIC has to be the most overused word!  Is there anything that is not "iconic"?  Why not say famous?

Except that famously is used instead of notable or well-known. He famously said, go post a note on TheFora.

Liquidambar

Quote from: mahagonny on June 18, 2021, 07:51:54 AM
birthing person

Is that a gender-neutral term for midwife?

Quote from: Myword on June 21, 2021, 08:21:00 AM
ICONIC has to be the most overused word!  Is there anything that is not "iconic"?  Why not say famous?

I think I've been using "iconic" when I mean "paradigmatic," so I am part of the problem.  Sorry.  Unless that's a valid use of "iconic"?  Can "iconic" mean a standard example of something?
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on June 25, 2021, 08:11:00 AM
WhiteX

Is that like Latinx, so there's a gender-neutral term for white people, which it already was?

Please tell me this isn't a thing.
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

WhiteY is the more commonly used term.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

apl68

Quote from: Liquidambar on June 21, 2021, 08:26:57 AM

Quote from: Myword on June 21, 2021, 08:21:00 AM

I think I've been using "iconic" when I mean "paradigmatic," so I am part of the problem.  Sorry.  Unless that's a valid use of "iconic"?  Can "iconic" mean a standard example of something?

Well, since "iconic" IS so overused, it would probably be just as well to use "paradigmatic" instead anyway.  Although "paradigm" itself has gone through phases of being trendy and overused, thanks to people seizing on Thomas Kuhn's ideas.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

Anybody got change for a paradigm?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

poiuy

Quote from: dismalist on June 25, 2021, 10:58:53 AM
Anybody got change for a paradigm?

Do you need social change for a paradigm?

mahagonny

'Hate on.' Says nothing that 'hate' didn't say, but takes more time.

mahagonny

'Mx.'  I went in for my COVID test, presented my ID  and the screen said 'Hello Mx Mahagonny' and then some instructions. 'Mx' is not an honorific. It's some jackass's politics. We need to start objecting to this taking over of the language.

'mostly peaceful protest'  I think you already know what I'm gonna say about that one.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on June 27, 2021, 04:40:56 AM
'Mx.'  I went in for my COVID test, presented my ID  and the screen said 'Hello Mx Mahagonny' and then some instructions. 'Mx' is not an honorific. It's some jackass's politics. We need to start objecting to this taking over of the language.

'mostly peaceful protest'  I think you already know what I'm gonna say about that one.

That's actually even stupider than WhiteX. Or maybe we'll get to where everyone will be referred to as simply X, whose ethnicity is X, and then we're never in danger of "mis<whatever>ing" anyone.
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

I've occasionally come across the term independent living facilities for the elderly. Click, click. What seems to be meant is dependent living, not to say concentration camps for the well off.

["When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."]

Long run, I don't expect the messing with definitions of words to do anything except make a bit of trouble for a while. Nothing more.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

downer

I guess they are not technical terms -- more terms created by the industry to sell products.

I've visited an independent living apartment complex for the rich, and it was very pleasant. The dining facilities were a bit tiresome -- even a dress code, and I wouldn't like to do eat there for every meal. But they would also deliver to the apartments if you wanted.

Isn't the contrast for independent living assisted living?. Then there's residential living and long term care.

The issue of how to spend one's final years is on my mind because it will take some preparation, and it can be horrible. The discomfort we have over the terminology is more about the reality of the experience. Children often can't or won't have their elderly parents living with them, and at some point, the old people have to move somewhere where help is available.