News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 16, 2022, 11:31:37 AM
Everything graded; final grades posted in Banner; out-of-office reply up on email!

YAY.

+1! I've had good students overall, but it's been a long semester.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Wahoo Redux

I have three more days before grades are due.  This is probably my last semester as a teacher, and probably the last three days at my current school.  The grading is fast, superficial, and generous.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

downer

That's 5 classes worth of grading done, and grades submitted. The flow of email "queries" from students has largely stopped.

One other class graded but not submitted. I'm waiting to see if there will be more emails. And some final papers coming in for the last class on the weekend.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Parasaurolophus

Only 28 more papers left, and a few straggler exams. Oof. Three more days to do it all.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: apl68 on December 16, 2022, 08:29:23 AM
Quote from: traductio on December 16, 2022, 07:03:43 AM
Graded the first set of grad papers last week (my theory course). First one I read was clearly (but not demonstrably) bought or AI-generated, which set my grumpy mood for the rest of the papers.

Just started my second set of grad papers (method this time). First one I read knocked it out of the freakin' park. I mean -- wow! This is a quiet and shy student who has really come out of her shell over the course of the semester.

Now the bar is really high for the rest of the papers, but I'm in a much better mood.

Drawing a shy student out and encouraging her to do very well in the course sounds like a classroom victory to me.  Congratulations!

Indeed! I reached out to her at a certain point in the semester -- just an email to say, hey, your contributions in class are great! (And they were.) After that, watching her gain confidence was the high point of the semester.

the_geneticist

Done!  Grades are submitted!

This was the Fall term that would not end.  I'm so glad it's over.

Now to wait for the email from students .  . .

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Caracal

I somehow finished the night before the grades were due, before ten. Very nice to not have to be waking up this morning with various leftovers to grade and things to input.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

sinenomine

Three reflection essays left to grade. I've offered Incompletes to three students. They need to digitally sign the paperwork from the Registrar to accept the plan I proposed — if they don't do so by the end of the month, they get F's. If they sign but don't turn in the work by mid-January, they get the F's. Given their inability to turn in work in the first place, I have my doubts that the extensions will help, but it's on their shoulders now.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

secundem_artem

Grades are in.  Several got rounded up to the next grade.  Let's see if anybody complains.

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances