News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Teaching studio (art) classes on line

Started by arty_, May 26, 2020, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arty_

The teaching on-line thread is useful, and Hegemony's post about reconfiguring  how you think about presenting material in a new fashion, rather than as a third rate version of your great in class experience is exactly right.

Any studio profs on this forum? I am trying to think through how to teach oil painting I this fall online (other classes too, but this is the one keeping me up at night). Any studio profs have ideas? Obviously I'm not going to go synchronous 6 hours a week (two 3 hours classes), and I will need to develop entirely new projects that can be done at home. The safety issues alone are mind boggling.

What I am specifically wondering about is how you are handling on-line critiques, either as a zoom or in a written form on any instagram/visual platform. I'm thinking here not only about the professor critiquing the art, but about the whole experience of teaching young artists how to look at work thoughtfully, and how to get beyond "I like this" while in the zoom/what have you environment. I worry that making crits asynchronous will make it really hard to model how to look at art.

I'm also happy to hear about  any successes in an online environment teaching studio.

OneMoreYear

Hi arty__.  I'm not in art, so I can't talk experience, but have you see this google doc?  https://docs.google.com/document/d/19bykI9yRsQOUFcNu27h4I4fl3-0Vg9Quua_YNzC9bxs/edit#heading=h.xg5el33j7y77
Also, UNC has some more links: https://art.unc.edu/home/remote-teaching-resources-for-studio-art-and-art-history/
Just some stuff floating around one of my faculty listserves. If it has ended up in my hands (definitely not an art professor), then you may already know about all these things, but just in case. . .

mamselle

Indirectly (art history, with friends who do studio art) related.

My friends who enter juried shows send slides (old arrangements) or digital photos (now) for judging, so the visual representation of the final piece (or any stage it's in) is possible to some degree.

My experiences with teaching music online (unexpectedly, using Zoom, MuseScore, screenshots, the cameras on our phones, and other devices) are also somewhat related; critique is offered on a not-quite-perfect receieved rendition of a composition as played or sung, but babies cry and sirens go past in real life, too....so I hear enough to gague what's going on with a piece.

And the folkdance group I'm attending has also made emulation of movement (basically, this is what showing types of brush strokes or pen strokes is about, for example) possible, so there are at least some elements that can be communicated in this way.

I'm finding that decent improvement is possible (and has happened); I was dubious at first but all my students are progressing at a reasonable pace and are engaged with the work. I"m also able to assemble them for a theory class--this might be similar to a "crit class" if you spotlight the screen of the person "up" at the moment,

You can't reach through the screen to write a sharp on the page, or point to a shape that doesn't lead the eye as it should, but by using words to direct them to do so, they get a more articulate sense of the action needed, and gain some agency as well. (the younger ones love writing the big, circled, sloppy "OK" I usually put on a finished piece, when I tell them to: I've realized they are also, in an odd way, becoming better listeners of their own work.)

These are sort-of related scenarios, but simply to say I think there may be ways to do this.

One friend teaches design at a nearby museum school, and another friend has taught oil painting and printmaking at a local CC, I'll ask them what they can contribute, if you like, and report back, also.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.