News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Wrong holiday/day off on syllabus

Started by Wahoo Redux, August 27, 2020, 06:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

So, let's just say that you had Labor Day on the wrong Monday, and then put together your syllabus and accidentally left the wrong Monday off and then also scheduled Labor Day off, thus adding an extra holiday.

And let's say a student rather aggressively ask, "What holiday is that?"

Would you:

A) Say you are having an embarrassing outpatient procedure and that's why the day is marked "No Class"?

B) Just say, "Sorry folks, I've got a campus meeting I really have to attend.  See you on Wednesday."

C) Not say anything and just let the free day-off ride?

D) Design some on-line exercise to make up for the missed contact hour?

E) Just admit you made a goof and hold class, embarrassing as that is?

I'm asking for a friend.  Obviously.

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

aside

Tell your friend to suck it up and do the right thing.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: aside on August 27, 2020, 06:46:49 PM

Interesting.

I'd like to hear some more expert opinions, however.

Vkw10

Agreed. The student knows your friend goofed, so admit it.

"Thank you, Xavier, for catching my error with syllabus dates. I'm glad you caught it, because that gives us a little more time for [topic]. Everyone, I'll update the syllabus in Canvas this afternoon. Please check the dates so you don't miss class."

If you're feeling generous, you give the entire class a study tip on the not-a-holiday. For me, that might be pointing out the final exam essay question, which is in syllabus, and providing ten minutes of group time to discuss what they've learned so far that will help answer that question.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

polly_mer

How close are you riding to the absolute minimum number of meetings to make the federal financial aid calendar watchers satisfied?

Probably too close since that's standard so you have to have that class unless you'd like to be the person doing the explanation if the audit catches the course.

I remember when the feces hit the fan during one financial aid audit when someone noticed students charging work-study when those students were supposed to be in class.  The resulting wider investigation really wasn't pretty, especially for the professors who were quite cavalier about regular course meetings and/or meeting for the full time.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Wahoo Redux

Yeah, I long ago sent the email correction to the syllabus.  I was just interested in what people would say.  Y'all are really straight-laced. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: Vkw10 on August 27, 2020, 07:39:57 PM

Agreed. The student knows your friend goofed, so admit it.

"Thank you, Xavier, for catching my error with syllabus dates. I'm glad you caught it, because that gives us a little more time for [topic]. Everyone, I'll update the syllabus in Canvas this afternoon. Please check the dates so you don't miss class."

If you're feeling generous, you give the entire class a study tip on the not-a-holiday. For me, that might be pointing out the final exam essay question, which is in syllabus, and providing ten minutes of group time to discuss what they've learned so far that will help answer that question.

If you"r friend" admits you/they made a mistake and fix it immediately, it's a lot harder for students to try to use their alleged mistakes as a way to leverage an extension.

Wahoo Redux

I suggested polyps as an excuse.  I further suggested that if students complained my friend should offer to show them pictures.

clean

FIX ALL of the errors in your 'DRAFT' Syllabus and hand out a new one next week. 

Thank those that participated in the revise and resubmit process. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

bad_math_puns

I make this kind of mistake constantly, and my policy is to always resolve it "in favor" of the students. I would say something like...
"Whoops, I made a mistake! But since it looks like I promised you a three-day weekend, I'm not going to take that away!" and then hold some kind of optional activity or review session that day so everyone feels they're getting their money's worth.

mamselle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 27, 2020, 08:44:09 PM
I suggested polyps as an excuse.  I further suggested that if students complained my friend should offer to show them pictures.

Yes, have them include the little hand-marked map of the GI system that locates exactly where the little things were, and include the names they gave them once the lab results were back from their procedure, too.

(Yes, people do this...or did, when I worked in a GI lab.)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.