News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"I need to pass this class."

Started by Aster, October 29, 2020, 01:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: nonsensical on October 30, 2020, 04:27:08 AM
When students say this to me, I try to respond with sympathy. They usually mention something about what's going on in their lives, and I try to start by responding to that. For instance, they say they need to pass the class so they can graduate on time, and I acknowledge that yes, graduating with one's class can feel like a very big deal. Or they say they need to pass so that they can get a good GPA to get a job/get into grad school/keep a scholarship, and I commiserate that keeping up a high GPA can be stressful sometimes and yes, not doing so can have some pretty negative consequences.

I then try to brainstorm solutions with them, which is easier the earlier in the semester it is. If there are still major grading opportunities left, I point that out and ask them what they can do to do better on those assignments. I let them know that they can always e-mail me or stop by office hours if they're working on something and have questions. If possible, I try to be encouraging. I've also sometimes talked with students about how it's fine for other goals to take priority over academic ones and how it's okay to drop a class or take a leave.

I've had some students respond with anger that I won't just change their grade, but other students have thanked me for taking the time to talk with them, and some actually went on to do the things we discussed to raise their grade. In general when students say they need to pass a class I try to hear the underlying emotion - they're basically saying that they are very stressed out - and respond to that.

I've had students ask for specific grades. I talk to them, remind them of the feedback they have already received, give them additional strategies on how to complete their assignments, and reiterate that I can work with them to help them improve their scores but that they should also work on the items in the list I give them. Very often, as nonsensical points out, the students are stressed out and just need to vent.

apl68

Quote from: polly_mer on October 30, 2020, 06:33:13 AM
Quote from: arcturus on October 29, 2020, 03:03:17 PM
Said to a colleague not me: "This is the third astrology course I have taken. I really need to pass it this time so that I can graduate."

I see a problem right away, unless you teach at an unusual place where astrology is taught and counts for a general education requirement.

Take it up with the institution's regional accrediting agency.  People have been complaining about them for years....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

fishbrains

Quote from: Aster on October 30, 2020, 08:38:58 AM
Got another "I need to pass" email today.

No, you cannot pass if you "get an A on the final". You missed two out of every three questions on the midterm exam and currently have a 40% in the course.

My experience has shown that CC students (where I teach) just don't understand percentages. Or how to add and divide to arrive at percentages. If I do the math for them, they think I'm making it up. Especially if I do it in my head right in front of them.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

kiana

Quote from: fishbrains on November 04, 2020, 08:50:26 AM
Quote from: Aster on October 30, 2020, 08:38:58 AM
Got another "I need to pass" email today.

No, you cannot pass if you "get an A on the final". You missed two out of every three questions on the midterm exam and currently have a 40% in the course.

My experience has shown that CC students (where I teach) just don't understand percentages. Or how to add and divide to arrive at percentages. If I do the math for them, they think I'm making it up. Especially if I do it in my head right in front of them.

I pull up their Canvas and say "Ok I am going to pretend you got 100% on all the rest of the tests. Ok? Watching?" and then stick 100 in. They can see it's still an F.

I know that they can do it but it seems to sink in better when I do it.

fourhats

Certain programs where I am require a "B" in courses that count as part of it. Rather than doing the work to earn that grade, some students go to the professors and tell them that the professor is required to give them a B or above in the course. And believe it or not, some faculty fall for it.

marshwiggle

Quote from: fourhats on November 04, 2020, 11:14:27 AM
Certain programs where I am require a "B" in courses that count as part of it. Rather than doing the work to earn that grade, some students go to the professors and tell them that the professor is required to give them a B or above in the course. And believe it or not, some faculty fall for it.

I didn't know you could get a PhD from a box of Crackerjack.
It takes so little to be above average.

the_geneticist

Quote from: fourhats on November 04, 2020, 11:14:27 AM

I teach a graduate class that is graded as Pass/Fail.  But for graduate students, passing means a grade of a B- or higher.  Missing 1/4 the class meetings and/or not turning in 1/4 of the assignments = failure.