News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

LMS course shell for mixed UG/G course?

Started by uni_cyclist, November 12, 2020, 11:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uni_cyclist

I'm teaching a course in the spring that has 50 undergraduate students and 15 graduate students. I'll be recording lectures and posting those as well as other course materials that are for both the undergraduate and graduate students, but they'll have different assignments. My school's LMS will allow me to combine the two courses into one course shell, but I'm wondering if that will cause problems because of the different assignments. But... if I separate the courses on the LMS, then I need to double-post things.

What do folks recommend in this kind of situation?

mythbuster

I teach these type of courses and we use Canvas. Canvas allows you to create assignments that are specific for individuals or for the entire class. That way those assignments only count towards the grad students (or vice versa).

uni_cyclist

Quote from: mythbuster on November 12, 2020, 11:28:38 AM
I teach these type of courses and we use Canvas. Canvas allows you to create assignments that are specific for individuals or for the entire class. That way those assignments only count towards the grad students (or vice versa).

Oh, interesting! Thanks. We also use Canvas. The last time I had a mixed class like this was years ago and was a different LMS.

mythbuster