Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: OneMoreYear on December 03, 2020, 07:42:13 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 03, 2020, 07:15:03 AM
Today I will try to grade 20 exams and, with that, I'll be completely done with my grading for this semester (except to put the letter grades to the system so they post on students' transcripts).

If you are bored after today, I've got a set of exams, two sets of papers, and a set of individual skill lab check-outs  still to go. Happy to send some your way.

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 02, 2020, 03:37:04 PM
Me the weary as well.

The grading isn't too bad, but I have to write detailed comments and also remind some of the students to review feedback already given for previous assignments. Some of them keep repeating the same mistakes, thinking I won't notice that I've already commented on these.

Agreed. I can grade these pretty quickly. It's the comments that take forever, though I am doing a lot of cut and paste of this comment: You have not yet made the revisions requested on the previous draft. Please review comments on Draft #1 before submitting your final paper.

Perfect! I'm going to copy and paste your sentence. I've been trying to come up with polite ways of saying the same.

Sun_Worshiper

Today I will try to grade 20 exams and, with that, I'll be completely done with my grading for this semester (except to put the letter grades to the system so they post on students' transcripts).

If you are bored after today, I've got a set of exams, two sets of papers, and a set of individual skill lab check-outs  still to go. Happy to send some your way.

Me the weary as well.

The grading isn't too bad, but I have to write detailed comments and also remind some of the students to review feedback already given for previous assignments. Some of them keep repeating the same mistakes, thinking I won't notice that I've already commented on these.

Agreed. I can grade these pretty quickly. It's the comments that take forever, though I am doing a lot of cut and paste of this comment: You have not yet made the revisions requested on the previous draft. Please review comments on Draft #1 before submitting your final paper.

Ha I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I'll be so bored after I finish this grading. Actually I've been building my whole schedule around the hope of taking a personal, do-nothing day on Monday.

arcturus

I finally made it through my large stack. There were some real gems in there - both on the positive (yay! you have really mastered the material associated with this class!) and negative (wow! I have rarely seen such abject BS. Did you really think I wouldn't notice?) side. My final exam is auto-graded multiple choice, so my remaining task is just to add the points and assign a letter grade. Yahoo! The semester is almost over!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 03, 2020, 07:54:09 AM

Me the weary as well.

Perfect! I'm going to copy and paste your sentence. I've been trying to come up with polite ways of saying the same.

I tell my students that they lose the points from their previous papers all over again if they don't make revisions. So if their last paper was a B, and they don't make any revisions, their starting point is a B. And it goes downhill from there.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm feeling a smidge better, so I'm attacking my lab reports. So far, I have graded two sets! Exciting!

Sun_Worshiper

Finished my grading yesterday, save for a single test that I allowed the student to reschedule for this afternoon. Looks like I'll be done grading soon, meaning that I can focus on research, a few admin tasks, and a bit of relaxation through Winter break.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I graded 56 lab reports yesterday. Don't know how I did it, but I did it.

nonsensical

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 04, 2020, 09:30:30 AM

That is impressive!

I graded some more items from my second stack today. A little more than half left to go.

OneMoreYear

I have no grading this weekend! I do need to finalize a seminar final and set a lab final.
Then, there will be two finals and 1 paper to grade next week. There might be light at the end of the tunnel.

AvidReader

Amazing! Hope you had a glass or mug of your favorite beverage to celebrate / as a reward.

AR.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AvidReader on December 04, 2020, 06:11:01 PM

Amazing! Hope you had a glass or mug of your favorite beverage to celebrate / as a reward.

AR.

I wish I could. Maybe later. Unfortunately, I haven't graded a thing today.

AvidReader

Um, you still average out to 28 a day, which is *still* impressive.

Congratulations also to arcturus and Sun_Worshiper, and anyone else I missed in my thread skim.

I am under 200 essays as of late last night but not by as much as I would like to be. My goal is always 20 a day, but I rarely make it past 12, and I get bleary after about 8. Going to try to grade 3 more before bed, and do a good chunk tomorrow morning when I am fresher.

AR.

Harlow2

Still 3 more virtual stacks of long grad papers, 2 of which aren't due for 2 more weeks. But not in 3-digit the numbers many of you mention.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm grading some Physics lab reports. These take a bit longer to grade than Astronomy. The # of reports graded/hour is much lower........

wellfleet

Halfway done! 23 research papers to go . . .
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.