News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Giving Gen-Ed Students Your Personal Phone Number

Started by fishbrains, February 28, 2021, 08:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: fishbrains on March 03, 2021, 10:37:55 AM
I appreciate everyone's feedback and voting. I'm not sure what's going on with the admins. There must have been a "focus group" or something about "more engagement." Anyway, I feel much better now.

I think people sometimes misidentify the problem. They hear that students sometimes don't check their email or write their professors with concerns and decide the problem must be that students don't understand or use email. However, the problem is really that students have gone AWOL, which is why they aren't checking their email or writing their professors when they encounter a problem. It can be tough for some students to stay engaged when they aren't on campus, but being able to text their professors isn't going to fix that.

adel9216

I would never give my personal phone number to students. No way. They can reach out to me by email or through Zoom. That's it, that's all.

clean

Just a passing note as this thread is probably dead now...

I was in the office of the Dean's Admin. person.  We were just chatting.  Another faculty member (who was NUTS!) came in because the college was trying to update emergency contact information.  But because I was in the room she had a perceptible pause.  The admin lady jokingly said, "I d be careful too.  He is in finance, so you know he is good at remembering numbers".  So she gave her the number and added, "That is the number I give to single men". 

TO this day, If I need to call the admin person, I say, "Is this the number for single men?"

So some people will not only NOT give their number to undergrads, they wont give them to the college IF single men may be listening!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Years ago. (Only been married for 9 months as of yesterday)

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.