News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Sentence construction correct?

Started by Deskman, November 13, 2022, 08:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deskman

I came across sentence construction in a student essay that might need correction but I'm not sure. The sentence is something on the order of: Therefore problems persist not only for the urban population but suburban commuters. Is "not only for" correct, or should it read "for not only"? Also, is the use of "but" alone correct rather than "but also" or "but for"? Is the sentence fine as is?

Parasaurolophus

I'd say either 'but for' or 'but also for'. Otherwise, it seems fine.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: Deskman on November 13, 2022, 08:37:05 AM
I came across sentence construction in a student essay that might need correction but I'm not sure. The sentence is something on the order of: Therefore problems persist not only for the urban population but suburban commuters. Is "not only for" correct, or should it read "for not only"? Also, is the use of "but" alone correct rather than "but also" or "but for"? Is the sentence fine as is?

For sake of parallel construction, I'd add "also for" after the "but." The first only modifies "for the urban population," while in the original sentence, the second only modifies "suburban commuters," rather than "for suburban commuters." And to my mind, the "not only ... but also" formulation requires the "also" (which amplifies the "not" of the initial "not only.") So a better formed sentence would be: "Therefore problems persist not only for the urban population but also for suburban commuters."

My students' writing, however, is rarely good enough that I'd be paying attention to that level of detail.

ETA: Seems like Parasaurolophus is on the same page!

mamselle

Journalistic editing (ever seeking a lower word count), might say.

"Therefore problems persist for both urban and suburban commuters."

Algebraic commutative and associative properties (identifying common terms and slipping them out) was the way my editor described it.

No loss of meaning; a column inch, or line, saved.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hegemony

But if you are paid by the word, "Therefore problems persist not only for the urban population but also for suburban commuters."

mamselle

Tee-hee.

One isn't, these days: your text is surgically sliced and diced if you don't take care to make it spare yourself...

;--}

M

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: Hegemony on November 13, 2022, 04:05:40 PM
But if you are paid by the word, "Therefore problems persist not only for the urban population but also for suburban commuters."

Or trying to fill a mandatory word count.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

MarathonRunner

Quote from: mamselle on November 13, 2022, 04:22:16 PM
Tee-hee.

One isn't, these days: your text is surgically sliced and diced if you don't take care to make it spare yourself...

;--}

M

Not in the paper I just received from the copy editor! They added words, even though the original construction and their copy edit have exactly the same meaning! Boggled my mind, but whatever. For example "on the basis of" instead of our original "based on." In the context of the paper, they are the same.  In press, so I'm happy. One more first author pub even if the copy editing added more words! (There are more examples on this paper that I could give.)

Probably depends on journal and field.

mamselle

I was speaking of newsprint journalism.

M.