News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Discussion excersizes

Started by Kron3007, February 24, 2023, 07:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

I run a field course, and periodically during the course and afterwards we meet to discuss the events.  I have a couple approaches to get things going, but I am interested to know if any of you have any exercises that work well.

The main one I use is where we go around the group and each person says their favorite part, least favorite part, and something they learned from the event.  I try to build on what they say to generate further discussion and reenforce what we did.  I like this one as it forces everyone to participate and helps build the team.  Just wondering what else I can do to switch it up

Caracal

Quote from: Kron3007 on February 24, 2023, 07:53:41 PM
I run a field course, and periodically during the course and afterwards we meet to discuss the events.  I have a couple approaches to get things going, but I am interested to know if any of you have any exercises that work well.

The main one I use is where we go around the group and each person says their favorite part, least favorite part, and something they learned from the event.  I try to build on what they say to generate further discussion and reenforce what we did.  I like this one as it forces everyone to participate and helps build the team.  Just wondering what else I can do to switch it up

When we look at primary source readings, I sometimes ask students to to select a passage they didn't fully understand or had questions about and explain why. It's often a good way to hit the main points.

the_geneticist

I like to have students draw flowcharts or diagrams to show connections between ideas.
Or list main ideas, benefits, drawbacks, and future directions.
How does (Approach A) compare with (Approach B): overlap, unique, contradictions, etc.

Make them go a bit deeper than the standard "what did you think?".