Advice needed: Moving forward with student who made false accusations

Started by foralurker, March 17, 2023, 12:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foralurker

I'm back and in need of advice and wisdom from the fora. Does anyone have experience working with a student who formally accused you of discrimination?

I teach a fun, kind of "fluff" topic as a five week online summer elective. While we do reach useful objectives, and I wouldn't go so far as to call this a bull crap class, it is highly creative. Students submit five short papers and are free to approach the topic as they'd like. It takes time to complete the assignments, but the assignments are not difficult.

It's a master's level course elective. I had a doc student, from another department, take the class last year. They plagiarized a whole paper in week 4. We went through the honor code office, had a hearing, and during the hearing the student tried eluding to the idea that I was racist and coming after them because they're an international student. They didn't use the word racist, but that's clearly the direction the conversation was going. When I had an opportunity to respond, I presented my syllabus to show all the ways I support those who are ESL and that seemed to stop the student's argument in their tracks. The plagiarism aspect was a slam dunk, and the student was charged and placed on academic probation.

This did not deter the student from lodging a formal, written complaint of discrimination. The university once again found no merit in the complaint.

I'm the only person who teaches this class and the student is permitted to take the class again to un-do the F they received after 12 months on probation. In speaking with the honor code office, I have to allow them to take the class again. How can I objectively assess this student's work knowing they are not only a cheater but a liar who will make up anything to get their way? How can I objectively interact with someone who tried to throw me under the bus by insinuating that I am a racist and formally filed an accusation of discrimination?

I have a couple of months to completely rewrite the course and the instructions for the short papers. Between this student and chat GPT, I don't have much of a choice. I'm so defeated and I'm certain this student has zero idea of what they've done to me, or the situation they've placed me in, as they're far too concerned with their own self preservation.

Have any of you found yourselves in this situation?

Thanks in advance. You folks are so helpful and supportive here.

Caracal

Quote from: foralurker on March 17, 2023, 12:13:31 PM
I'm back and in need of advice and wisdom from the fora. Does anyone have experience working with a student who formally accused you of discrimination?

I teach a fun, kind of "fluff" topic as a five week online summer elective. While we do reach useful objectives, and I wouldn't go so far as to call this a bull crap class, it is highly creative. Students submit five short papers and are free to approach the topic as they'd like. It takes time to complete the assignments, but the assignments are not difficult.

It's a master's level course elective. I had a doc student, from another department, take the class last year. They plagiarized a whole paper in week 4. We went through the honor code office, had a hearing, and during the hearing the student tried eluding to the idea that I was racist and coming after them because they're an international student. They didn't use the word racist, but that's clearly the direction the conversation was going. When I had an opportunity to respond, I presented my syllabus to show all the ways I support those who are ESL and that seemed to stop the student's argument in their tracks. The plagiarism aspect was a slam dunk, and the student was charged and placed on academic probation.

This did not deter the student from lodging a formal, written complaint of discrimination. The university once again found no merit in the complaint.

I'm the only person who teaches this class and the student is permitted to take the class again to un-do the F they received after 12 months on probation. In speaking with the honor code office, I have to allow them to take the class again. How can I objectively assess this student's work knowing they are not only a cheater but a liar who will make up anything to get their way? How can I objectively interact with someone who tried to throw me under the bus by insinuating that I am a racist and formally filed an accusation of discrimination?

I have a couple of months to completely rewrite the course and the instructions for the short papers. Between this student and chat GPT, I don't have much of a choice. I'm so defeated and I'm certain this student has zero idea of what they've done to me, or the situation they've placed me in, as they're far too concerned with their own self preservation.

Have any of you found yourselves in this situation?

Thanks in advance. You folks are so helpful and supportive here.

All that sucks. Sorry.

1. You can assess the student's work just fine, because this is your job, and you're a professional. Obviously, you'll probably scrutinize his papers more closely, but unless you find any evidence that he plagiarized them, his personality defects don't come into the grade and you obviously won't consider them. Remember, he's the one who falsely accused you of giving grades based on invalid criteria, it's not true.

2. As for interacting with him in class, again, you can do it. My guess is that he isn't going to exactly be an active participant, but we've all taught students we didn't like very much. You don't need to like him, you just need to make sure that nobody can tell you don't like him.

3. It's always a good idea to rewrite instructions and assignments to address issues you've been seeing, but I think you might be overreacting. Academia seems to me, to be having an unwarranted freakout about CHATGPT. A student in a doctoral class is not going to be able to write a decent paper using CHATGPT without a lot of work. (Seriously, try entering in paper prompts, I suspect the stuff that you get back will put your mind at ease) It doesn't sound like this student is an evil mastermind, since you caught the cheating last time, so I don't think you need to redesign the course around him. If you think that there's reason to be concerned about plagiarism more generally in the course, then there are things you could do, from scaffolding assignments, to requiring students to write certain kinds of papers for each one. (Pick a document from some collection and discuss it in depth, Pick a document and discuss how it relates to the work of a scholar, etc etc.)

4. You'll be fine. I can see why this was an upsetting experience. It's never pleasant to be accused of something you didn't do. But, remember, that you were fully exonerated at every turn. From your description, it doesn't sound like anybody ever put any credence in the student's charges, and there was never any actual professional danger for you. You don't need to feel embattled or scrutinized. Just keeping doing your job.

foralurker

Quote from: Caracal on March 17, 2023, 01:06:15 PM

Academia seems to me, to be having an unwarranted freakout about CHATGPT. A student in a doctoral class is not going to be able to write a decent paper using CHATGPT without a lot of work. (Seriously, try entering in paper prompts, I suspect the stuff that you get back will put your mind at ease)

That's a good idea. I'm going to do this when I'm working on my revisions.

Quote from: Caracal on March 17, 2023, 01:06:15 PM
You'll be fine. I can see why this was an upsetting experience.

Thank you - I appreciate your comments!

Puget

Sorry this happened-- Can you have a colleague grade this student's papers? Even if you can set aside your feelings, given what happened last time it seems like a good precaution to head off claims of bias by the student this time. It that is not possible, I'd see if you can set your LMS to do blind grading (where you can't see the student's identity while grading)-- I think most will do that. If appropriate for your subject matter, you could also consider including at least some objective (e.g., multiple choice exam) assessments.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

QuoteI'd see if you can set your LMS to do blind grading

That is my recommendation too. 

And set the LMS to use the plagiarism checkers.  Do it for all, automatically. 

Finally, do not be defensive about the false accusation. It is false!  There is no truth in it!  YOU are not the one that cheated!  You have done nothing wrong!  Dont change your life because a student made a false accusation.  IF they make another, Defend Yourself vigorously!  Do not give in to their Harassment!  IF they make the charge again, Counter with your own charge of harassment!  And if hey ask for a suggested/recommended penalty (our system allows the professor to make a recommendation), dont hold back! 

IS this the kind of behavior that should be permitted in a university setting teaching others?  Dont hold back!

Absolutely finally, dont let this worry you for the next 4 months!  You have a life outside of this.  Dont let it interfere with that life!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

foralurker

The blind grading is a good idea. They set up a blog outside of the LMS last time. As for having someone else grade, I might be able to ask for a TA or split a TA with one of the other summer instructors in my department.

Thanks, everyone. Glad I asked before I started revising the course. It's validating to hear from others and I've been putting the course preparation work off because of this.

Myword

Agree with the others.  Student looks disrespectful, insolent and dishonest.

kaysixteen

I assume that if the student plagiarizes again, he will be expelled?

Hegemony

Blind grading and/or having the student's work graded by someone else will ensure that when the student accuses you of bias a second time, you'll have a watertight defense. Maybe have them submit the papers in a way that ensures you genuinely cannot tell who wrote them. They can provide the key later and you can match up the grades to the names.

What I personally would do is not teach the class again until the student has graduated.

Caracal

Quote from: foralurker on March 17, 2023, 02:28:31 PM
The blind grading is a good idea. They set up a blog outside of the LMS last time. As for having someone else grade, I might be able to ask for a TA or split a TA with one of the other summer instructors in my department.

Thanks, everyone. Glad I asked before I started revising the course. It's validating to hear from others and I've been putting the course preparation work off because of this.

I still don't think it's necessary, but I can see the argument for this as a practical matter. I would just make sure to run it by your chair,  or director of grad studies. If you're handling the grading for this student differently, even by specifically assigning his papers to a TA, you want to be careful that other people are involved in the decision.

I'd also make sure when you talk to someone about this, to frame it as a way to head off unpleasantness, not as a concern about your ability to grade his work fairly. "I'd like to think this will be fine, and maybe it will be, but since this is someone who was willing to make false accusations of discrimination against me, he's probably willing to make false claims of retaliation too. Would it make sense to just take that off the table."

foralurker

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 17, 2023, 11:22:29 PM
I assume that if the student plagiarizes again, he will be expelled?

Yes, that is correct. You'd think that alone would ease my mind, but if you had witnessed the hearing (also my first time seeing them) this person believes they are above the university, their sanctions, and any potential for punishment. I initially thought this was some act they were putting on to appear confident, but it kept going and going. And carried over into later written correspondence.

Quote from: Hegemony on March 18, 2023, 12:36:02 AM
What I personally would do is not teach the class again until the student has graduated.

I agree. And I tried to weasel my way out of it, but I didn't want to share my feelings and upset as I have here. My program chair is much too willing to hear out and entertain student complaints. I suspect giving a student the chance to right their wrong (the F, not what they've done) is right up the chair's alley.

foralurker

Quote from: Caracal on March 18, 2023, 06:22:13 AM
Quote from: foralurker on March 17, 2023, 02:28:31 PM

I still don't think it's necessary, but I can see the argument for this as a practical matter. I would just make sure to run it by your chair,  or director of grad studies. If you're handling the grading for this student differently, even by specifically assigning his papers to a TA, you want to be careful that other people are involved in the decision.

I'd also make sure when you talk to someone about this, to frame it as a way to head off unpleasantness, not as a concern about your ability to grade his work fairly. "I'd like to think this will be fine, and maybe it will be, but since this is someone who was willing to make false accusations of discrimination against me, he's probably willing to make false claims of retaliation too. Would it make sense to just take that off the table."

Yes, I was thinking about grading everyone blind and/or with the help of a TA to prevent exactly what you've described.

I especially like your framing recommendations. Thank you for that. While what you've described is at the center of what I'm concerned about, I've come to realize that I'm still feeling a little raw from this situation and those feelings have returned now that it's time to start prepping the course.

darkstarrynight

I empathize with you. I have two students currently retaking a class in which both plagiarized their final paper (in different semesters). One is an international distance student who never had a conversation with me when I provided feedback. In fact, I am not even sure if they ever communicated with our academic integrity office or just accepted the consequences. The other student was a librarian, so I found that especially egregious. We had a very uncomfortable phone conversation where they dragged out excuses for 45 minutes, but eventually accepted the consequences. Both received a grade of F overall. Last summer, as i prepared for my sabbatical, I decided to teach a new doctoral class instead of my usual two masters classes. This was the first time this class was taught by someone else in many years, so I was quite surprised to see both of these students enroll in my class this semester rather than retake it with someone else and in an accelerated format.

To be honest, it made me uncomfortable at first, but both have to do the entire class over even though the only issue was with the final paper. Both have done relatively well. I just have to wait until these students submit final papers in May before I can see if they have redeemed themselves in this particular situation. I know this held up the international student's graduation, so I hope they take this paper seriously.

Hegemony

If it's a "fun summer elective," can your department really compel you to teach it? It doesn't sound as if it fulfills any necessary requirements. And it is certainly not a requirement that if a student fails a certain course, the department is required to offer that course as many times as needed for the student to retake it and pass.

Wahoo Redux

That is uncool that they let him take your class again.

The first confirmed plagiarism case I ever caught occurred when I was in grad school.  While I never saw his little pretentious self again, the little plagiarizing worm bad-mouthed me to some of my grad student friends the next semester.  We found it very funny, and somehow, with a good deal of vindictive schadenfreude, it erased any lingering guilt I might have held onto.

Never had anything as fraught as your situation, but I have had several students who were angry about their grades take later classes with me, and I just treated them as I would any student. These were definitively uncomfortable situations, I just figured I had the power, not them.  In a way, you can think that you kicked this guy in the booty.  Go in like a UFC champ.

Just be sure he is not trying to set you up.  Have someone on the faculty read his assignments also to back up your decisions. 

Best of luck.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.