News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How much do you share (teaching materials)?

Started by OneMoreYear, April 08, 2023, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

This question probably has a thread somewhere--if someone has better luck than I did, please send me to it. Question essentially is: how much of your teaching materials do you share with an adjunct or a new instructor who is teaching a course you have taught for a while?

Due to a variety of factors, I'm already on a one-class overload this year, and the dean nixed me taking a 2nd class overload, so luckily we located an adjunct to teach a summer class I've taught for a while--in this case it's a graduate elective course. I met with the adjunct twice to orient to how I structure things and provided my syllabus, my lecture slides, and my assignment guidelines. But, they've now asked for basically the whole kit and caboodle, including a set of class-related videos I created, all class activities, and case studies.

As I mostly teach a bunch of courses that no one in my department is interested in teaching (e.g., stats for math-phobic basketweavers), I've not had a lot of requests to share full course materials. So, what say the forumites? Find some time to zip everything together and send it or is it reasonable to not send it all?

Even typing this out, I feel like a snowflake, so maybe I've got my answer. But, I guess I'll post and see what opinions come through.

dismalist

Syllabus, of course. Even lecture slides is a bridge too far, in my opinion. As for the rest, unheard of.

From the many adjuncts I have overseen, such was never asked for.

The request is a signal of laziness. Be careful.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

arcturus

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 08, 2023, 02:32:16 PM
This question probably has a thread somewhere--if someone has better luck than I did, please send me to it. Question essentially is: how much of your teaching materials do you share with an adjunct or a new instructor who is teaching a course you have taught for a while?

Due to a variety of factors, I'm already on a one-class overload this year, and the dean nixed me taking a 2nd class overload, so luckily we located an adjunct to teach a summer class I've taught for a while--in this case it's a graduate elective course. I met with the adjunct twice to orient to how I structure things and provided my syllabus, my lecture slides, and my assignment guidelines. But, they've now asked for basically the whole kit and caboodle, including a set of class-related videos I created, all class activities, and case studies.

As I mostly teach a bunch of courses that no one in my department is interested in teaching (e.g., stats for math-phobic basketweavers), I've not had a lot of requests to share full course materials. So, what say the forumites? Find some time to zip everything together and send it or is it reasonable to not send it all?

Even typing this out, I feel like a snowflake, so maybe I've got my answer. But, I guess I'll post and see what opinions come through.

Everything.

For our online courses, we share the full course shell, but let new instructors know that they may adjust the course as they see fit.

For face-to-face courses, we share lecture slides, activities, etc.

There is no reason to re-invent the wheel, but good reason to work collaboratively to improve the educational experiences of our students.

Parasaurolophus

I've offered friends everything. Mostly they just take the syllabus, although sometimes they also take the auto-graded quizzes and exams I've set up.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

I'd share my syllabus certainly. I'd share slides as well if someone wanted them. In at least one instance I asked the instructional design folks give them access to my canvas page, which included the syllabus, slides, assignments, etc.

ciao_yall

Liquidambar

Things I don't share are:
- my handwritten notes, mostly because they're too messy to be much help.  I've shared them for one course after making an effort to clean them up.
- low quality videos of me talking.  It would be weird for someone else to use these.

I'll happily share everything else.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

marshwiggle

I've shared everything with anyone teaching courses or labs I've taught before. (To be fair, the courses I usually teach no-one else has ever wanted to teach, and I have right of first refusal, so I've never been worried about something I wanted being taken from me. Anything someone else has taken I've been glad to be free of.)

When I delivered everything from my own public web server, everything except tests was up there for anyone to see and download. One big drawback to delivering everything through D2L now is that there's no way to have public stuff that anyone can see. (My YouTube videos are also all public.)

The public exposure lets me see what stuff is useful to others beyond my own students, which is kind of rewarding.
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

I downloaded some of mine from the internet. No one ever asked for my teaching materials.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

fizzycist

I'd find the request itself irritating/greedy. Especially if asked in an entitled way. On the other hand, I'd probably send all of it. Ppl voluntarily did things like that for me when I was starting out so I try to pay it forward.

fishbrains

At my CC, we have plenty of new adjuncts who come from finishing their theses on very esoteric topics to teaching Comp I or developmental courses. I share everything because they are starting with pretty much nothing. Some even use my videos for their first semester when they are still trying to figure out the technology.

But it's like sharing a recipe. I can give you the ingredients and the process, but I can't transfer my 20 years of experience making it all work.

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Ruralguy

I'd probably give someone almost anything they asked for. I don't really care. I think may folks don't even use what I give.

MarathonRunner

I've taken courses where the profs have acknowledged the slides came from, or were adapted from, another prof's slides. Same with videos and other materials. That's the approach I'll take if anyone ever asks for my materials. Use and adapt as required, but acknowledge.

OneMoreYear

Thanks for the initial discussion. General consensus appears to be to just send it. It's going to take a bit as I use a variety of different media, but I'm working on it. My voice-of-reason colleague thought the request was too much, but I do want this to be a successful experience for faculty member and students alike.  Most of the videos will obviously be associated with me as they involve me and my TAs, with occasional guest appearances by my husband (who was helping during COVID times), and my cats.

clean

The syllabus is actually public information. The university has all of them on the university website (in response to a state law).

I dont even put recordings of me doing pure lectures on the LMS.   Supposedly, these types of things are NOT public/university property, but one of my coworkers (lazy ass bastard) is known to skirt the rules.  I wont place any of  my lecture recordings in a place that they may be stolen.  I dont want my work to be used when I m not being paid! 

We have a way for the university to PAY us to create a class, and we sign over the rights to the material.  IF Im not paid, I dont give it away for others to use. 

IN the olden days, a chair told an untenured prof that the university owned his class materials because he used a university computer and software.  He pushed back that he used HIS computer, IN the summer (when he didnt have classes) and a temporary/sample version of the software for it, so the university had NO connection to HIS work and would not give it to her.  (He then gave notice and moved to a better fitting place for him). 

Since then, I simply decided NOT to put the university in a position that it COULD challenge the ownership of my work product.  (IF I wrote a book, would they own it?  Would they get a share of the royalties?) 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader