Adjunct limits

Started by hester, April 14, 2023, 03:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hibush on April 15, 2023, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 15, 2023, 07:31:34 AM
Quote from: Hibush on April 14, 2023, 04:39:15 PM
One?

Yeah, ideally, that seems right to me, too. But I'd also want a strict limit on the number of adjuncts a department could hire. Because if you have enough courses to amount to a full or nearly full load at that institution, they should go to either a VAP (if they're temporarily available) or a TT hire (if they're always available).

That is what I was getting at. If someone is teaching a number of intro courses that the TT faculty don't want to teach, then it can make sense to cover those with an NTT lecturer. But that should be filled with a relatively permanent NTT lecturer who is paid a competitive salary (at my school, intro-bio lecturers are non-TT on a three year renewable contract and earn $70-$100K depending on rank and time in service.) If there is continuous demand for the course, it is not ethical to fill it with underpaid temps.

This doesn't really apply to the "traditionally identified" part-timers who have full-time jobs at the institution or elsewhere, and who repeatedly teach specific courses. They're not being exploited.
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 15, 2023, 06:03:19 PM
Quote from: Hibush on April 15, 2023, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 15, 2023, 07:31:34 AM
Quote from: Hibush on April 14, 2023, 04:39:15 PM
One?

Yeah, ideally, that seems right to me, too. But I'd also want a strict limit on the number of adjuncts a department could hire. Because if you have enough courses to amount to a full or nearly full load at that institution, they should go to either a VAP (if they're temporarily available) or a TT hire (if they're always available).

That is what I was getting at. If someone is teaching a number of intro courses that the TT faculty don't want to teach, then it can make sense to cover those with an NTT lecturer. But that should be filled with a relatively permanent NTT lecturer who is paid a competitive salary (at my school, intro-bio lecturers are non-TT on a three year renewable contract and earn $70-$100K depending on rank and time in service.) If there is continuous demand for the course, it is not ethical to fill it with underpaid temps.

This doesn't really apply to the "traditionally identified" part-timers who have full-time jobs at the institution or elsewhere, and who repeatedly teach specific courses. They're not being exploited.

Which is why Hibush and I think the correct number here, for an ideal world, is one.
I know it's a genus.