News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Which parts of your job would you LIKE to automate?

Started by marshwiggle, May 26, 2023, 05:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on May 28, 2023, 09:54:47 PM
Fyi, there are tools that automate attendance

Yeah, I know, but they cost money for students and I'm uncomfortable with some of the surveillance they involve. I'm also unwilling to give someone a zero for the day because they forgot their thingamajiggy so I imagine it would end up not really saving me much time.

bio-nonymous

I would like to automate all tasks related to middle management and compliance including such time consuming and annoying processes such as shipping/receiving, annual chemical and equipment inventories, maintenance of SDS files, and all the health and safety, Radiation, IBC, IACUC, and IRB documents/inspections/oversight/emails, as well as HR, Grant Management, and other document hungry bureaucratic organization busy-work. This would need a fully conscious AI with an android body though, so I won't hold my breath. BUT, imagine all the work (research and teaching-wise) we could get done without all that "other stuff" clogging up our work hours...

apl68

Honestly, I believe that in my line of work we've already automated pretty much everything that reasonably needs to be automated.  I wouldn't care to automate more.  People already have enough reason to worry about surveillance and violations of privacy.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

Quote from: bio-nonymous on May 30, 2023, 07:35:53 AM
I would like to automate all tasks related to middle management and compliance including such time consuming and annoying processes such as shipping/receiving, annual chemical and equipment inventories, maintenance of SDS files, and all the health and safety, Radiation, IBC, IACUC, and IRB documents/inspections/oversight/emails, as well as HR, Grant Management, and other document hungry bureaucratic organization busy-work. This would need a fully conscious AI with an android body though, so I won't hold my breath. BUT, imagine all the work (research and teaching-wise) we could get done without all that "other stuff" clogging up our work hours...

This already exits- it is called hiring a lab manager. Highly recommend!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Kron3007

The program review I am currently working on would be a good start.  So much busy work that dosnt matter.  If only ChatGPT had access to the information needed to do it!

Also, all of the fluff that goes into research proposals.  I feel a good half or more is extraneous busy work, and it would be great to offload that.  This is particularly true for he EDI section, not because I dont agree with the principle, but it just turns into fluff that chatgpt could probably handle.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: Puget on May 30, 2023, 09:55:59 AM
Quote from: bio-nonymous on May 30, 2023, 07:35:53 AM

This already exits- it is called hiring a lab manager. Highly recommend!
I had one--that left for industry. Now there isn't enough money to hire a new one. So I get to do it all! Yay me. :)

Diogenes

The byzantine amount of paperwork we have to fill out to go through curriculum committees. Yes that's plural: 2-3 committees depending on the course for every new class or 5 year review. Just not sure if I could get ChatGPT to understand how each committee will expect slightly different subtleties and then disagree with one another.