News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Mic or headphone w/ built-in mic?

Started by paddington_bear, September 24, 2023, 08:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddington_bear

Hello! I'm currently doing our university's training to teach online. The facilitator (and other things I've read) indicated that using a mic or, ideally, headphones with a built-in mic, is better than using the computer's mic. Is there a difference in quality? For those teaching online, which do you prefer?

Hibush

Sound quality is really important. Nothing makes a lecturer annoying as much as bad sound. OTOH, that intimate FM-radio-DJ tone really connects.

Some webcams (and Apple integrated computers) have fantastic microphones with background noise suppression. Test yours to see how it sounds over a test session. If so, you are good to go.

However, if you hear background noise or have a tinny or distant sound to your voice, definitely go with a headset. I use a $40 noise-cancelling unit from a major manufacturer, and it works very well. The key advantages are that you can set it up so your voice level stays very even and there is no background noise. You do have to adjust the position precisely every time because the microphone is directional. 

spork

I use the Sennheiser Consumer Audio SC 660 USB ML headset. No way am I shouting into a laptop mic or listening to its crummy internal speakers.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

paddington_bear

AJ_Katz

If you're someone who hates wearing headphones, the Yeti microphone is great. 

I listen to podcasts and there's nothing worse than poor audio.  It is worth the investment.

paddington_bear

I still can't decide between a mic and headphones. I don't necessarily hate wearing headphones. The class is asynchronous, so I won't need to wear headphones multiple times of week to teach. I live by myself, so I don't really have noise on my end to worry about, except for my dog occasionally barking or noise outside. I haven't decided what I'm going to get yet!

sinenomine

My laptop's mic went wonky a while back and I bought an external mic that works fine for recordings and Zooming. I find it much better than wearing a headset, and it filters outside sounds like lawnmowers, loud planes, etc.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

AJ_Katz

For me, headphones can start to hurt my ears and head after wearing them for over an hour. 

@sinenomine -- what brand / model did you buy?

fleabite

If you choose to go with a microphone without headphones, this sound bar might interest you: Adesso sound bar. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to use with my desktop (built it myself; didn't include speakers). The sound is clear, and I'm very happy with it.

fosca

I have over-the-ear headphones with a microphone (in-ear headphones always start to hurt after a short time--I must have small external auditory canals or something), both because it helps me hear what people are saying better (I'm in a loud environment) and because I hate the sound of other people using the computer/laptop microphone (it's often soft and echo-y and a bit muffled), so I don't want to inflict the same on others.  I can wear over-the-ear headphones for hours without pain, and I do it often.  Plus, I live in a tiny apartment with always-open windows and I figure my neighbors don't need to hear my meetings, particularly when they are at some god-awful time of night (I work remotely and I'm six time zones away from my "home base"). 

AJ_Katz

Quote from: fosca on September 27, 2023, 11:30:53 AMI have over-the-ear headphones with a microphone (in-ear headphones always start to hurt after a short time--I must have small external auditory canals or something), both because it helps me hear what people are saying better (I'm in a loud environment) and because I hate the sound of other people using the computer/laptop microphone (it's often soft and echo-y and a bit muffled), so I don't want to inflict the same on others.  I can wear over-the-ear headphones for hours without pain, and I do it often.  Plus, I live in a tiny apartment with always-open windows and I figure my neighbors don't need to hear my meetings, particularly when they are at some god-awful time of night (I work remotely and I'm six time zones away from my "home base"). 

That's interesting.  For me, I dislike not being able to hear what is going on around me.  It makes me feel like someone could walk up on me without me knowing at any time.  Even when I'm in a room alone, it can still give me the creeps. 

sinenomine

Quote from: AJ_Katz on September 27, 2023, 09:10:33 AMFor me, headphones can start to hurt my ears and head after wearing them for over an hour. 

@sinenomine -- what brand / model did you buy?

It's a Jounivo. Still going strong after 3+ years.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

bio-nonymous

I use a gaming headset (RAZER KRAKEN V3: sound is great, and super-comfortable) for recording asynchronous classes. I have one at work. At the home office I have a different set-up with a fancier gaming headset with 7.1 surround sound (for recreational purposes), and a different headset just for recording when I need to use Canvas Studio. Why? Because Canvas Studio will not let you add "computer sound" to your recording if you are using a gaming headset with Dolby 5.1 or 7.1. So if you go with a gaming headset, make sure your program of choice is good with the model you choose (or just forgo the fancy sound processing). If you record with Zoom or WebEx it doesn't matter at all. And if you do not have computer sound (animations, videos, etc.) going on during you recording of course it doesn't matter either. There are some cumbersome workarounds too for the Canvas Studio problem...

paddington_bear

A question just occurred to me....If I'm teaching asynchronously, do I need headphones at all? I'm only going to be recording lectures. If I meet with students over Zoom, the mic and speakers on my computer seem to already be good enough.

Hibush

Quote from: paddington_bear on September 28, 2023, 05:48:54 PMA question just occurred to me....If I'm teaching asynchronously, do I need headphones at all? I'm only going to be recording lectures. If I meet with students over Zoom, the mic and speakers on my computer seem to already be good enough.

If you are recording only sound, use a microphone that makes you sound present and authoritative.

Katz mentioned the Yeti upthread, that is a great choice. It will be right in front of your face, which isn't good for live video. Headsets are more subtle for those.

Do a sound check with various approaces to see how you come off.