News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Mic or headphone w/ built-in mic?

Started by paddington_bear, September 24, 2023, 08:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bio-nonymous

Quote from: paddington_bear on September 28, 2023, 05:48:54 PMA question just occurred to me....If I'm teaching asynchronously, do I need headphones at all? I'm only going to be recording lectures. If I meet with students over Zoom, the mic and speakers on my computer seem to already be good enough.
One reason is background noise--shotgun mike right next to you off your headset coupled with good noise reduction really helps (for example, I have a large fishtank in my office and if I didn't do what I do the background sound would be unbearable--good for whitenoise, not so good when recording a lesson).

Biologist_

I sometimes run Camtasia on my personal laptop to record a lecture. The built-in microphone is okay to start, but then the laptop heats up and the fan comes on and gradually gets louder and louder. After a while, the whine from the fan is really annoying if I record audio through the built-in mic. It's much better with my cheap external microphone. I didn't realize it was a problem until I listened to a lecture that I had recorded.