News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spelling 101 -- Your Name

Started by Cheerful, October 03, 2019, 12:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiUlv

I have an unusual first and last name, and spell check always thinks I'm spelling one or the other wrong. Auto-correct often tries to change my last name to a common word that is one letter off. And I have a tendency to type too quickly and misspell my first name on my own. I'm used to checking it, but sometimes I miss it.

apl68

Quote from: KiUlv on October 19, 2019, 01:10:05 PM
I have an unusual first and last name, and spell check always thinks I'm spelling one or the other wrong. Auto-correct often tries to change my last name to a common word that is one letter off. And I have a tendency to type too quickly and misspell my first name on my own. I'm used to checking it, but sometimes I miss it.

My (quite common) last name has a couple of variants, but the way I spell it is by far the most common.  This makes me wonder whether those who have the less common variants ever have spell check problems.  Or maybe spell check's generous enough to accept all of them.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I don't have so much trouble spelling my name.

But when I sign off on an email, my "Best" often comes out "Beset."

I suspect at some points I've forgotten to correct that, leaving people to think things are even more dire than I complained about in my note....

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on October 21, 2019, 12:17:00 PM
But when I sign off on an email, my "Best" often comes out "Beset."

I suspect at some points I've forgotten to correct that, leaving people to think things are even more dire than I complained about in my note....

M.

Or maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.