News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

"Some moth species have already begun to experience a long-term decline in parts of Europe,
including a 25% decline of 442 species in Britain and similar declines in the Netherlands (Boyeset al., 2020), as well as parts of Germany, Sweden, Puerto Rico, and Costa Rica "
_
Wow.  Brexit was worse than I thought.  It has entangled the Western Hemisphere...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Those are some far flying moths! 

jerseyjay

In an essay about a novel dealing with immigration to New York City: "[the character] had to adapt to New York's busy fast paste lifestyle." Unfortunately, he was not able to get a job as plasterer or wall-paper hanger. 

mamselle

Well, yeah, if you can't keep up with the pasting you're likely to end up wrapped up and sealed in the stuff....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Prelude to Stu's annotated bibliography:

I have chosen to discuss this topic in my research paper because for one I have a good
understanding (coming from much experience) of how relationships work (what the two people
in the bond have to contribute to each other as the nourishment, not to mention how something as
important as the recognition either of the women or the man and love between each other plays a
significant role in whether or not the spark continues to "live on" or "die out").

mamselle

All all the books in the bib. listing by the student, then?

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

From a student's three-paragraph account of how hu revised Assignment X:
Working with peers, whether they are assigned to me or not, helps a lot. It is nice to have someone my age to work
with, since they know how to help me best and reword sentences.

I guess profs can't help students with their writing because they're too old?! The detailed feedback I gave apparently doesn't count because of my age?

the_geneticist

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 08, 2022, 12:24:22 PM
Working with peers, whether they are assigned to me or not, helps a lot. It is nice to have someone my age to work

I guess profs can't help students with their writing because they're too old?! The detailed feedback I gave apparently doesn't count because of my age?

There is something to be said for "peer mentoring", but I'm guessing that the student's writing is not going to be sufficiently improved by just "rewording" a few sentences.

Yep, we're too old, too strict, enforcers of standards crushers of dreams.

marshwiggle

I imagine the peer says "Say it this way:...." rather than all of that pesky talk by old people profs about what you're trying to communicate and why
It takes so little to be above average.

ciao_yall

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 09, 2022, 05:26:44 AM

I imagine the peer says "Say it this way:...." rather than all of that pesky talk by old people profs about what you're trying to communicate and why.

Students tend to assume I know stuff and dutifully follow along because they have to.

When a peer says something, they really take notice and engage because it's from a slightly unexpected source.

Langue_doc

Prior to the death of her father, [Character] was already isolated because of circumstances out of her father's passing

[Character's] isolationism gets exponentially worse post her father's death.

mamselle

The poor dad can't do anything right, living or dying, it sounds like.

He even gets them out of chronological order, messing the kid up more, apparently...

M.

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on May 03, 2022, 07:46:30 PM
[Character's] isolationism gets exponentially worse post her father's death.

Not even Pearl Harbor made her willing to reconsider supporting intervention overseas.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

First sentence in a Freshman Comp research paper:
In [Author's] ["Short Story"], a woman named Jane is married to a man named John.

Puget

Probably an autocorrect error, but I enjoyed thinking about the fMRI imagining things:

QuotePast and current studies have used fMRI to imagine a child's brain who has ADHD while doing tasks.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes