News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I recall years ago that "escape goat" cropped up on the old Fora version of this thread.  Somebody then commented:  "If that's a goat trained to get you out of trouble in an emergency, I want one!"

Our family had some experience keeping goats when I was growing up.  From what I saw of them, every goat is an escape goat.  They have a genius for getting where you don't want them.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

traductio

Quote from: apl68 on May 17, 2022, 07:39:19 AM
I recall years ago that "escape goat" cropped up on the old Fora version of this thread.  Somebody then commented:  "If that's a goat trained to get you out of trouble in an emergency, I want one!"

Our family had some experience keeping goats when I was growing up.  From what I saw of them, every goat is an escape goat.  They have a genius for getting where you don't want them.

My parents-in-law live on a small farm and have goats in a pen. Those goats are a genius for getting their heads stuck in the fence, over and over and over again, preferably at 3:00am when their bleating cries will best carry through the still night air.

And they're really pissy when you help them out, too.

I feel like they're living, breathing metaphors, although I'm not sure for what.

Puget

Scape goat is probably a corruption of "escape goat", so the students are not entirely on the wrong track.  My understanding is the phrase comes from the biblical account of the two goats, one of which is sacrificed and the other which has the sins of the community recited over it and is then released into the wilderness to ritually carry away from the community. Thus, the goat that escaped becomes the 'scape goat-- the one that takes on the sins of others. This passage is still read as part of the Yom Kippur liturgy (no actual goats are involved).

Quote from: apl68 on May 17, 2022, 07:39:19 AM

I had goats as well-- they are very smart and very good at opening gate latches with their mouths. The good thing is they are also homebodies, so when they do get out they generally come back to their barn when they're done eating-- so long as it's not your garden they're eating it's ok. Once ours got out and the gate blew shut after them, so they came up on the porch and looked through the window until we noticed them, then trotted back to the gate to be let back in. Like I said, smart.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

porkchop

Quote from: traductio on May 17, 2022, 07:52:34 AM
I feel like they're living, breathing metaphors, although I'm not sure for what.

Waiting until 3 am to get stuck and then urgently demanding help while in a pissy mood? It does sound vaguely familiar...

reverist

I just read this in a student's essay: "...all the deception in chiefs and wolves clothing...."
Yikes. At least I knew what they meant.

mamselle

Are they discussing the latest round of J6 indictments?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

reverist

Quote from: mamselle on June 04, 2022, 01:40:35 PM
Are they discussing the latest round of J6 indictments?

M.

Ha! That is awesome.

That would make some sense. I mean, even setting aside spelling, the idiom is backwards. Sigh. I got a follow up email (followed up to my feedback) begging to resubmit because they knew if they didn't do well then they wouldn't pass the class.

apl68

I've seen "ark" spelled "arc" right here on The Fora.  Of course the "arc" does appear toward the end of the account of Noah, when the rainbow makes its appearance.  Dispute the historicity of the ark if one must, but the arc is an undeniable reality.  I've seen it myself after a good rain, and that's even with my defective color vision!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

"Self-government rights are the rights to political anatomy"

Edit: Another: "wearing those garments are not allowed in public places, like turbine or hijab"
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 15, 2022, 04:33:59 PM

Edit: Another: "wearing those garments are not allowed in public places, like turbine or hijab"

Heck, using the notwithstanding clause to prevent people wearing turbines in public may not be a bad idea.

(Canadian joke).
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 15, 2022, 04:33:59 PM

So in other words they give you the right to become an active member of the "body politic?"  Makes sense to me!

Parasaurolophus

"...there has been a jerk reaction...".
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2022, 06:26:18 PM
"...there has been a jerk reaction...".

So common in online and social media discussions in many places that it's hardly even necessary to mention....

Parasaurolophus

Here's a good one:

"It is a life-transforming experience, when someone confronts a tickling bomb dilemma, regardless of our activities during the act."
I know it's a genus.

apl68

A tickling bomb is a terrifying thought!  I can see it being used to deal with crowds of rioters, or possibly turned on peaceful protestors.