News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

TESTIFY!

you'll never hear someone in church yell FALSIFY!

I might, but I'd get kicked out...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on October 04, 2020, 11:37:43 AM
A hypothesis must be falsifiable and testifiable.

Aww, I kind of like that one.

apl68

In other words, don't make any hypothesis that you're not ready to swear to in court.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mythbuster

From a lab report about testing antibiotic susceptibility. "The lab manual does not include cutoff values for E. coli and penicillin because the FDA has not done enough tests on this combination".

Yeah. The most studied bacteria on the planet and the first ever antibiotic. We haven't tried that one yet.

writingprof

"If college were free, the ratio of students to professors would skyrocket, which would harm teaching quality."

Yes, friends: Even in purely hypothetical worlds, the number of tenure-track positions cannot be increased.

fourhats

From my first years in teaching, a pro-life essay (a topic I told the class to stay away from):

"As Darwin said in his work on the survival of the fetus...."

I think that course also yielded my first "it's a doggy dog world."

writingprof

Quote from: fourhats on November 06, 2020, 02:47:11 PM
From my first years in teaching, a pro-life essay (a topic I told the class to stay away from):

"As Darwin said in his work on the survival of the fetus...."

That student is so stupid and ignorant that s/he almost rounds the corner and becomes brilliant.

Stockmann

Quote from: apl68 on October 05, 2020, 10:26:38 AM

In other words, don't make any hypothesis that you're not ready to swear to in court.

But can you take the fifth?

evil_physics_witchcraft

"Also, with the addition of Mercury barley having an atmosphere, the planet can't hold gases and the temperatures would be insane..."

I know the student meant 'barely', but the idea of a well-placed comma (and a few other changes) leads one to think that Mercury has vast fields of barley.

marshwiggle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 06, 2020, 08:03:32 PM
"Also, with the addition of Mercury barley having an atmosphere, the planet can't hold gases and the temperatures would be insane..."

I know the student meant 'barely', but the idea of a well-placed comma (and a few other changes) leads one to think that Mercury has vast fields of barley.

But if it can't hold gasses, it won't make good beer.
It takes so little to be above average.

present_mirth

"[Other thing] is the same thing as being bedridden, minus the part of having to stay in bed."

Juvenal

Quote from: present_mirth on November 22, 2020, 02:46:37 PM
"[Other thing] is the same thing as being bedridden, minus the part of having to stay in bed."

Yes.  I've often felt that way.
Cranky septuagenarian

apl68

Quote from: Juvenal on November 22, 2020, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: present_mirth on November 22, 2020, 02:46:37 PM

Yes.  I've often felt that way.

Well, not having to stay in bed would make being bedridden less inconvenient.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

writingprof

"When thinking about famous pieces of writing, most people in America might think of the Constitution, the Twilight series, or People magazine."

The thing that's so discouraging about this sentence is that it's not even wrong.

Charlotte

Quote from: writingprof on November 23, 2020, 12:00:36 PM
"When thinking about famous pieces of writing, most people in America might think of the Constitution, the Twilight series, or People magazine."

The thing that's so discouraging about this sentence is that it's not even wrong.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this!