News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

OMG! I am reading an article in a peer-reviewed journal about the teaching of statistics, and I've just read this sentence:

"Since the dawn of civilization, pictorial representations and symbols have been used to communicate simple statistics."

No wonder our students are using phrases like this. They are reading these phrases in published scholarship!

Thursday's_Child

"For all ages, there is not a mortality rate because the doctors obviously do not want to subject any of the patients to death unless the situation absolutely calls for it."

RatGuy

From an exam question about 1787 play The Contrast. This is the answer in its entirety.

QuoteWhen he says "endeavor in a friendly manner to rectify her foibles," he's talking about men who simp and orbit.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: OneMoreYear on December 05, 2020, 04:35:10 PM
OMG! I am reading an article in a peer-reviewed journal about the teaching of statistics, and I've just read this sentence:

"Since the dawn of civilization, pictorial representations and symbols have been used to communicate simple statistics."

No wonder our students are using phrases like this. They are reading these phrases in published scholarship!

Gah! But also: did they cite any evidence for the claim?
I know it's a genus.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 12, 2020, 10:12:35 AM

They cited a mathematics education study looking at the use of graphs that was published in the 1980s. Since I was confused (are they saying that civilization started in the 1980s?), I googled the sentence, which led me to a book synopsis for a book describing the use of graphs in K12 education. So, not only is this a horrible sentence with no provided evidence, it is plagiarized.

Puget

Quote from: OneMoreYear on December 12, 2020, 11:08:37 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 12, 2020, 10:12:35 AM

They cited a mathematics education study looking at the use of graphs that was published in the 1980s. Since I was confused (are they saying that civilization started in the 1980s?), I googled the sentence, which led me to a book synopsis for a book describing the use of graphs in K12 education. So, not only is this a horrible sentence with no provided evidence, it is plagiarized.

Now I'm trying to imagine cave people painting graphs-- maybe depictions of multiple animals were actually showing the mean hunting success values?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

The bonus question on the last quiz for my introductory ethics course asked students which topics they liked best, least, and which they would have liked us to cover. In response to the last of these:

QuoteI would have appreciated it if we covered the topic of Morality.

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Ha, I like that guess!

Probably we should cover consent and harassment...
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on December 12, 2020, 09:28:36 AM
"For all ages, there is not a mortality rate because the doctors obviously do not want to subject any of the patients to death unless the situation absolutely calls for it."

A doctor subjecting a patient to death would kind of defeat the purpose....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

sinenomine

A couple gems from two of my students:

"In the United States of America, we are known for so many things."

"Health is one of the biggest things in the world."
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Quote from: sinenomine on December 14, 2020, 12:27:46 PM

One of the reasons I like hanging out here despite not being an academic is that you learn something new every day.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

wareagle

Quote from: apl68 on December 14, 2020, 01:03:45 PM
Quote from: sinenomine on December 14, 2020, 12:27:46 PM

One of the reasons I like hanging out here despite not being an academic is that you learn something new every day.

And they are likely things you'll learn nowhere else.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

jfmmgm

Memorable statements from the papers submitted by my Intro to Music students:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We learned about all the instrument in music and some of them were extreme like the guitar or the saxophone.

Along with that came the consonance of the music and its continuous legendary status through each era being played by multiple new generational musicians in order to perfect their style by playing that style of music since the composers of that time were virtuosic.

How much others and the writer love you for the things you've done.

The era of Classical music is an art that has been passed down generations to keep the same aspiration for the musical elegance.

The expansion of classical music made it a must see in concerts.

Increasing your performance can also lead you to creating your own classical music type songs that have never been heard before maybe making you one of the highest known talented musical composers of all time reaching an accolade not many can named.

Without humans, businesses and music would simply not exist.

The success of classical music was defined as becoming a certified composer that that outside of your initial community/church can listen to.

(Beethoven's) piano symphony, Pathétique, with its dynamic contrasts, explosive accents, is one of the sonatas that can decrease heart rate. (from an exercise science major)

The innovation of classical music began immediately when sound, pitch, dynamics, and tone color came into existence.

During the late 1770's to early 1880's these types of performances were for wealthy aristocrats that wanted more entertainment to throw some jazz in their life.

I learned in this class that music is a part of everyday life and has been for a very long time.

As a audience, you don't want to hear an out of tone, melody and rhythm music.

As the conductor goes throughout the show, he will change the songs up, giving the crowd a show.

Dissonance was once considered to be a beautiful sound and was widely accepted, but now consonance is preferred.

mamselle

Oh, my golly....

(Said with feeling from one who also teaches music....)

There's a whole selection of Barenboim's recordings over in the Quiet room if you need to recover....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.