News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writingprof

Quote from: fishbrains on February 15, 2021, 10:30:29 AM
I had a student just write that they really enjoyed Flannery O'Connor's short story "A Good Man Is Hard to Grind."

I don't know if the student has a dirty mind there, but I sure do.  :)

Attempting to locate SparkNotes, a student inadvertently accesses erotic fan fiction. Was the author Flannery O'Boner?

(Sorry, sorry! Mods, please delete this if I've gone too far.)

mamselle

Quote from: EdnaMode on February 15, 2021, 11:27:37 AM
Quote from: apl68 on February 11, 2021, 08:43:22 AM
Quote from: AmLitHist on February 10, 2021, 02:12:58 PM
From a good student in my lit class:

[Michael Wigglesworth] was a man respected and feared by his pears.

You're supposed to talk to your plants, not threaten them!

Not if you're the demon Crowley!! (Gratuitous Good Omens reference there).

Or if your plant's name is Audrey....

<...gulp!>

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Golazo

I had some "public policy" essay writing without the l in public. In once instance something like 12 times.

apl68

Quote from: Golazo on February 16, 2021, 06:50:11 AM
I had some "public policy" essay writing without the l in public. In once instance something like 12 times.

Those of us who work in public libraries have to be on guard against this all the time in our correspondence.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Adds a new layer of meaning to "Special Collections"...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Actual favorite.  My LMS stalled when I was apparently trying to run too many applications through it (too many  = 2).  I had to leave the synchronous session and come back in.  As I was rejoining, I could see the chat.   One student had written "We're unsupervised! Let's run amok!"   

sinenomine

Quote from: OneMoreYear on February 21, 2021, 07:34:20 PM
Actual favorite.  My LMS stalled when I was apparently trying to run too many applications through it (too many  = 2).  I had to leave the synchronous session and come back in.  As I was rejoining, I could see the chat.   One student had written "We're unsupervised! Let's run amok!"

I love it — thanks for the laugh!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

AvidReader

I asked my students to describe how their arguments will be structured. 

Student: "The structure of my argument will be a 3.5 paragraph essay."

Student subsequently describes the main point to be addressed in the 3 paragraphs, but does not tell me the plan for the .5.

AR.

apl68

Quote from: AvidReader on February 28, 2021, 09:38:23 AM

Student subsequently describes the main point to be addressed in the 3 paragraphs, but does not tell me the plan for the .5.

AR.

It's a four-paragraph essay where you go back and edit out half of one paragraph before submitting the final draft.  Sounds like something they must be teaching in high school now.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

Not quite sentences, but two darling phrases from a student paper:

fish hunter

suicide boomer
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: apl68 on March 01, 2021, 07:22:39 AM

AR.

It's a four-paragraph essay where you go back and edit out half of one paragraph before submitting the final draft.  Sounds like something they must be teaching in high school now.

Any idea what the logic is behind that? That approach seems rather arbitrary and ill-suited to most writing situations in any of my classes.

AvidReader

Quote from: traductio on March 08, 2021, 09:43:05 AM
Any idea what the logic is behind that? That approach seems rather arbitrary and ill-suited to most writing situations in any of my classes.

I assumed apl68 was being sarcastic/funny. I still don't know what the student intended.

AR.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: AvidReader on March 08, 2021, 10:41:49 AM

I assumed apl68 was being sarcastic/funny. I still don't know what the student intended.

AR.

I've heard the term refer to 3 body paragraphs--5 paragraphs total (because of the intro and conclusion paragraphs, so . . . 3.5 paragraph essay.
I think it's a confusing term, and I'm not sure why we are not just calling it a 5 paragraph essay.

traductio

Quote from: AvidReader on March 08, 2021, 10:41:49 AM

AR.

That's probably the case -- I'll be honest, I struggle any more to tell the world of the Onion from the world we live in!

Parasaurolophus

This gem was just posted to my weekly Q&A thread for logic:

"some of those quiz questions made me feel like I was staring into alphagetti like some kind of canned pasta haruspex."

A bright future in the academy beckons!
I know it's a genus.