News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 09, 2021, 07:53:16 PM
"It is very difficult trying to juggle the academic stress of needing to memorize all the responsibilities I have to attend to."

Indeed!  I hate when I realize I've been stressing about one due date, but I have something more pressing that I should have been stressing about instead.

I tell these students to buy/download a calendar or day planner and use it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Stu response to an Optics question:

"The angle changes to be less changed if the wavelength is higher."

Huh?

marshwiggle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 12, 2021, 07:32:58 PM

Huh?

I've been at this too long. It sounds like Stu is talking about dispersion and I can actually decipher what s/he's trying to say! (Retirement can't come too soon...)
It takes so little to be above average.

the_geneticist

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 13, 2021, 05:14:28 AM

Huh?

I've been at this too long. It sounds like Stu is talking about dispersion and I can actually decipher what s/he's trying to say! (Retirement can't come too soon...)
Wait, does that mean I can retire soon too? 
If you really want a good crash-course on deciphering "student-ese", try scoring Advanced Placement exams.  And when it's the in-person scoring, you also get reminded how to read dreadful handwriting. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 13, 2021, 05:14:28 AM

Huh?

Correct; however, the grammar leaves a lot to be desired.

downer

Editing a bit, but ...

"legendary comedians such as ... Bernie Mac"

Say what now?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Parasaurolophus

"[...] and in any event, when such practices abuse the public authority's current creature government assistance enactment."
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 25, 2021, 12:30:30 PM
"[...] and in any event, when such practices abuse the public authority's current creature government assistance enactment."

Random word sentence generator?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: apl68 on April 27, 2021, 07:18:08 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 25, 2021, 12:30:30 PM

Random word sentence generator?

Thesaurus plugger-inner, I think. (Whatever those are called. 'Generator' seems inapt. IIRC they're primarily used to evade plagiarism detection.)
I know it's a genus.

downer

I now include a clause in syllabi saying any use of a paraphrasing tool will count as plagiarism.  When I spot it, I come down heavy on the student.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

traductio

Quote from: downer on April 27, 2021, 08:59:15 AM
I now include a clause in syllabi saying any use of a paraphrasing tool will count as plagiarism.  When I spot it, I come down heavy on the student.

How do you find such paraphrasing? I get the impression that Google has changed its algorithm, and my old tricks don't work any more.

downer

You note the feeling that you are reading a word salad that no human could generate.

It takes some effort to prove it. Last time I went through this I looked at the names that were mentioned in the passage and some of the odd words used, and I searched for more natural rough synonyms along with the names. It took a bit of trial and error but I was led back to a page from from Sparknotes.

traductio

Quote from: downer on April 27, 2021, 09:37:46 AM
You note the feeling that you are reading a word salad that no human could generate.

It takes some effort to prove it. Last time I went through this I looked at the names that were mentioned in the passage and some of the odd words used, and I searched for more natural rough synonyms along with the names. It took a bit of trial and error but I was led back to a page from from Sparknotes.

That was my approach with a case today -- that student almost won through attrition. But it took 45 minutes longer than the process took in the past.

downer

Quote from: traductio on April 27, 2021, 09:45:28 AM
Quote from: downer on April 27, 2021, 09:37:46 AM

That was my approach with a case today -- that student almost won through attrition. But it took 45 minutes longer than the process took in the past.

That's one reason why I come down very heavy on it. I want to discourage it since it wastes so much of my time.

traductio

"Some people think the avocado is a delicious fruit, while others think the fruit tastes as weird as bird poop."

Indeed.