News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Hmmm.....Wonder what thesaurus came up with that?

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

I dunno. I've never tasted bird poop, but I'm no fan of avocados, either.

marshwiggle

Quote from: traductio on April 27, 2021, 11:07:35 AM
I dunno. I've never tasted bird poop, but I'm no fan of avocados, either.

Apparently, others have.
Quote from: traductio on April 27, 2021, 10:49:55 AM
"Some people think the avocado is a delicious fruit, while others think the fruit tastes as weird as bird poop."
It takes so little to be above average.

OneMoreYear

"Some people think the avocado is a delicious fruit, while others think the fruit tastes as weird as bird poop."

Indeed.

Now, I really want to know what type of assignment prompted this response.

traductio

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 27, 2021, 11:32:05 AM

Indeed.

Now, I really want to know what type of assignment prompted this response.

Would you believe epistemology and communication theory? The student was trying to illustrate constructivism, I think.

apl68

For some reason this reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon that showed a guy eating a sushi roll in a restaurant and complaining "You call this guacamole?"
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 25, 2021, 12:30:30 PM
"[...] and in any event, when such practices abuse the public authority's current creature government assistance enactment."

It almost sound like something from Harry Potter.

Thesaurus abuse for sure.

jerseyjay

One of my student essays begins:

"This essay is based on an interview with Maria, a Mexican immigrant, conducted on May 16, 2021."

Well, the paper was a project that was supposed to be worked on throughout the semester, and was due on May 12. But okay, I get that sometimes students have late starts, so starting an assignment four days after it was due is something that I can accept, if not celebrate.

But the paper was dated April 26.

And the paper was uploaded to Blackboard on May 15.

I graded the paper as normal, but I am left scratching my head as to when the student actually did the interview and wrote the paper.

arcturus

Quote from: jerseyjay on May 17, 2021, 10:55:52 AM

"This essay is based on an interview with Maria, a Mexican immigrant, conducted on May 16, 2021."

Well, the paper was a project that was supposed to be worked on throughout the semester, and was due on May 12. But okay, I get that sometimes students have late starts, so starting an assignment four days after it was due is something that I can accept, if not celebrate.

I graded the paper as normal, but I am left scratching my head as to when the student actually did the interview and wrote the paper.

I've had time travelling students in my class. Since they were supposed to be documenting the time sequence of a naturally occurring phenomenon for their project, mis-stating the date is equivalent to fabricating data. Thus, I have reported all time-travelling students for academic misconduct. Your case may be less egregious, but you might consider having a conversation with the student regarding the source of their "data".

Edited to add: Their excuses are also super annoying. One student stated that he couldn't be held accountable for fudging the dates because he didn't know anything about phenomenon X. Well, a) he was taking a class that talked about phenomenon X during week 8, and b) the whole point of the project was to give students an opportunity to see and think about phenonenon X *with their own observations* taken throughout the semester. Grrrr.

the_geneticist

I had a student email to say that they would need to leave class early and wanted to let me know that they might be rushed for time and have to put in "bogus answers" on the assignment.
WTF?
I wrote back to say that they can turn it in late with a small penalty and that I would strongly encourage them to write thoughtful and complete answers.
Did they mean incomplete? Made up?  Just random nonsense with enough key terms to hope for some points?

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 17, 2021, 01:19:44 PM
I had a student email to say that they would need to leave class early and wanted to let me know that they might be rushed for time and have to put in "bogus answers" on the assignment.
WTF?
I wrote back to say that they can turn it in late with a small penalty and that I would strongly encourage them to write thoughtful and complete answers.
Did they mean incomplete? Made up?  Just random nonsense with enough key terms to hope for some points?

Try https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bogus definition 4. Current slang use of "bogus" can simply mean "not excellent".

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: hungry_ghost on June 04, 2021, 05:35:02 PM
WTF?

Try https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bogus definition 4. Current slang use of "bogus" can simply mean "not excellent".

What is this, the eighties?
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

WTF?

They might have meant bonus? Although that doesn't really make much sense if they had less time...

AmLitHist

Comp I narrative about remembered event (meeting boyfriend's family):

There I met his aunt, mother and brother. His aunt had pink hair with a kind voice.

Giggle.