News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

An idea, rather than a verbatim sentence (I'm too toasted to look up the original):

I'm grading profiles in Comp I.  Many were very good and on new-to-me topics.  However, a bunch of them wrote narratives, even after two weeks of readings and exercises and a specific announcement and "tips" sheet I wrote up for them.  One wrote a narrative about her taking her kids and sister to the zoo.  My takeaway (paraphrasing her):

The penguins are fun to watch, even though one of them was crabby and grumpy, but it was understandable because she [the penguin] was pregnant.

bopper

Quote from: downer on April 18, 2021, 05:09:11 AM
Editing a bit, but ...

"legendary comedians such as ... Bernie Mac"

Say what now?

Bernie Mac joined fellow comedians Steve Harvey, Cedric the Entertainer, and D. L. Hughley in the film "The Original Kings of Comedy".

Maybe in your culture he isn't a legendary comedian, but perhaps he is in other's.

fishbrains

Quote from: bopper on July 13, 2021, 11:42:20 AM
Quote from: downer on April 18, 2021, 05:09:11 AM
Editing a bit, but ...

"legendary comedians such as ... Bernie Mac"

Say what now?

Bernie Mac joined fellow comedians Steve Harvey, Cedric the Entertainer, and D. L. Hughley in the film "The Original Kings of Comedy".

Maybe in your culture he isn't a legendary comedian, but perhaps he is in other's.

Bernie Mac taught me the correct mindset to have for the first day of classes with this legendary set: https://youtu.be/7JkPx0gk6LE. I owe him large.

Alas, my wife won't let me wear my face on my pants.

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Langue_doc

The next question is an incredibly thought provoking ponder.

Langue_doc

[Story is about character] "eventually scumming to the temptation of the devil."

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 01, 2021, 01:17:22 PM
[Story is about character] "eventually scumming to the temptation of the devil."

Well, temptation often falsely adopts pleasing shapes, so a reminder of the essential sleaziness of it isn't a bad thing....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

arcturus

From a discussion post that appears to be acknowledging the long tradition of great Irish mythology, as splashed across the night sky: "The constellations I knew were O'Ryan's belt, Little Dipper, and Big Dipper."

cathwen

Quote from: arcturus on October 05, 2021, 11:52:21 AM
From a discussion post that appears to be acknowledging the long tradition of great Irish mythology, as splashed across the night sky: "The constellations I knew were O'Ryan's belt, Little Dipper, and Big Dipper."

That is hilarious!

mamselle

He's sipping a grog called Beetlejuice from a mug, too....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Those of you teaching F2F should feel empowered by my student's insight:

Additionally, [the author] documents that the rise in technological innovation is rendering physical universities absolute.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: arcturus on October 05, 2021, 11:52:21 AM

Ha!

FishProf

"THC is becoming legal in more states, which is known to affect CB1 receptors in hypothalamus leading decreased efficiency in short-term memory encoding"

An unexpected civic problem?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ciao_yall

Prompt: "Be sure to address, for your country or product, any issues related to your home or host country's political, legal or economic situation.

Response: "The only problem would be if theinspections on the Habu Sake failed because of the snakes but if there is no snakes in the drink then there should be no problem. Also sometimes America ate (sic) against eating certain animals, but if people drink most all orange sodas then hopefully they know that the use liquid from the beavers butt sack to help flavor the orange soda. If people can drink that then surely they can drink some snakes in alcohol."

FishProf

"Oceans are salty because they are transformed coastal deserts where sand is abundance."

Mein Gott, does this student think Sand = Salt?  In a Marine Biology course?

[Reads on]

Oh.  She does.  Oh no....

FishProf

sorry for double post. Another gem

"The oceans are salty because they have a salinity of 35 ppt due to the concentration of salt in the water".

So, the oceans are salty because of the salt in them?