News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I'll bite.

In 9th grade Earth Science, we were told it was because the water evaporates but the salt doesn't so the salinity goes up as salt content from run-off becomes more concentrated in the water, having no place to go.

Is that still correct? Do I get a point?

;--}

M. 

(I still have that textbook and could get up and look it up if I had to, too...) 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Full points for that part of the question!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Today has been worth living, then.

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

"Progressive" Stu decided to use the pronouns "they" and "them" for female characters, but not for the male counterparts. The assignment starts with the conventional pronouns "she" and "her", but abruptly transitions to the gender-neutral "they".

the narrator explain how tired they are and how they don't want to write in the journal anymore. It is about mid-summer, and the narrator explains that all they have really done is lie down. [Husband] reads to them in bed...

hungry_ghost

The two stories I am talking about are miserable and have similar plots.

RatGuy

"Hawthorne sets The House of the Seven Gables in Salem, MA to mine the mythology of the Salem Witch trials. The novel's message, however, is of the evils inherent in generational wealth. Witchcraft, like communism, is just a red herring."

I so hope that's a "Clue" reference.

mamselle

Quote from: RatGuy on October 29, 2021, 06:25:10 AM
"Hawthorne sets The House of the Seven Gables in Salem, MA to mine the mythology of the Salem Witch trials. The novel's message, however, is of the evils inherent in generational wealth. Witchcraft, like communism, is just a red herring."

I so hope that's a "Clue" reference.

Don't get me started...or PM me, if you wish to....

Sounds like they're copying from stuff like Spark's and Cliff's notes, and throwing in some off-hand observations for good measure.

David Brown's and Mark Knoll's takes on it are still the best.

M.

Langue_doc

I recall a poster wanting to know if we now had to chew the food for our baby students in addition to the expected spoon-feeding. I'm doing a lot of chewing this semester.

His solitary makes his imagination run wild,

However when that becomes tinted and darkness he is led to question
everything

Langue_doc

From the introductory paragraph of an essay:

Time flows and runs like a river, and as time goes, one thing comes after another...

This is a hard-working student who needs some help with the language.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 03, 2021, 12:54:04 PM
From the introductory paragraph of an essay:

Time flows and runs like a river, and as time goes, one thing comes after another...

This is a hard-working student who needs some help with the language.

And the physics. ;)
I know it's a genus.

paddington_bear

From the first sentence in the final paragraph of a mostly nonsensical essay (where the authors first name was misspelled multiple times and in different ways): "In confusion....."   Oh boy.

AvidReader

Not a student, but . . . "We are allowing the government to divide and concur."

AR.

Langue_doc

apl68

Quote from: AvidReader on November 05, 2021, 11:17:58 AM
Not a student, but . . . "We are allowing the government to divide and concur."

AR.

Sadly I must concur that we are divided.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

Addendum to Stu's peer review:
Disregard what I said about Farce. Google gave me a terrible definition.