Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 26, 2020, 06:00:19 PM
"Book is great source for studying and preparing for exam instead of reading."

Well...maybe the student was just trying to say that the book was a useful source, but not something that the student found enjoyable to read.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on June 27, 2020, 09:12:30 AM

Well...maybe the student was just trying to say that the book was a useful source, but not something that the student found enjoyable to read.

I first thought of that but then re-read the post. It's a little unclear, but it looks like there was no book required for the course to begin with, suggesting that maybe the evaluation was stock text the student has developed to include on all their evals, or something.

Maybe our pointy-headed hadrosaurid friend can elucidate??

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Morden

Interesting.  I interpreted it as the student saying they would have preferred a textbook because it would be easier to study compared to the assorted readings assigned in the course.

ciao_yall

From comments I solicited from the students this summer term. (I don't use textbooks for non-formal classes; I just post the articles I want them to read, so that (1) I can tailor the class to the topics and authors I want them to read, and (2) they don't have to spend $100+ on a textbook.)

Depends on the level of student and the subject area.

A survey course such as Intro to Business, etc really needs a textbook to create a consistent framework. A collection of articles won't use the same themes or definitions... or different enough as to feel disjointed for a student.

Advanced students who have a solid framework can do fine on a collection of articles... but then the objectives are different.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on June 27, 2020, 10:04:32 AM

I first thought of that but then re-read the post. It's a little unclear, but it looks like there was no book required for the course to begin with, suggesting that maybe the evaluation was stock text the student has developed to include on all their evals, or something.

Right. There's no textbook.

What kills me is the "instead of reading".
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 27, 2020, 03:20:23 PM
Quote from: mamselle on June 27, 2020, 10:04:32 AM

Right. There's no textbook.

What kills me is the "instead of reading".

You've mentioned teaching foreign nationals.  My bet is this response was written by someone with a native language that doesn't have articles and does have a casual approach to plurals.

Thus, "readings" would not be a thing for someone who thinks one reading, two reading.  As one colleague explained, I already told you there were two; why the need for changing the noun?

That would also explain "Book" instead of "A book is a great source...instead of <just> readings"
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Cheerful

Agree with Morden and polly_mer, the student seems to prefer a book over having to retrieve assorted readings from Blackboard.

FishProf

I just had a conversation with an angry student who is failing my class because she hasn't done any of the lab assignments.  Why not? 

"The class is online.  How an there be labs?"

Oh, I don't know.  Maybe read the syllabus where it is explained, or watch the first class meeting video, where it is explained.  Or open the assigned instructions for an individual lab, where it is explained.  Or watch the "how to take practical exams" video, where it is explained.  Or ask, sometime before the last 2 days of the semester, about those announcements you don't understand.

The Fall is looking worse and worse.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

smallcleanrat

Really get annoyed when students try to throw me under the bus.

"Sorry this is late, Professor, but my TA did not tell me we had to get it in on [Due Date]."

Em...actually, I did. Verbally in section and again in an email.

Also, the professor himself made a verbal announcement in class and posted an announcement to the class forum (which should have also been sent automatically to your email). When you had three different ways to get the information from the professor, did you really think pinning your ignorance of the due date on me was going to absolve you of all responsibility? He knows he made an announcement...

polly_mer

Ah, smallcleanrat, welcome to teaching.

I've had students tell me I didn't make an announcement that was still written on the board in the announcement area where I put the daily announcements.

My favorite example of students flat out failing in attention was the third time in a row that a nearly identical question was asked.  One of the best students exploded with, "Dr. Mer literally spent the last ten minutes on that question.  Weren't you paying attention to the last two questions?  That's the third time someone asked that same question!"
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

secundem_artem

I think that's actually the definition of a textbook.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

Yes, reading/readings confusion does seem likely. That's some comfort, thank you.
I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on June 28, 2020, 01:44:31 PM
Really get annoyed when students try to throw me under the bus.

"Sorry this is late, Professor, but my TA did not tell me we had to get it in on [Due Date]."

Em...actually, I did. Verbally in section and again in an email.

Also, the professor himself made a verbal announcement in class and posted an announcement to the class forum (which should have also been sent automatically to your email). When you had three different ways to get the information from the professor, did you really think pinning your ignorance of the due date on me was going to absolve you of all responsibility? He knows he made an announcement...

As Polly said, "Welcome to teaching!".  I am occasionally amazed by students who don't realize that instructors & TAs 1) know each other and 2) do talk about the class together. In fact, we cc each other or forward emails from students to each other.  Lots of students will try the "if the instructor says no, ask the TA" strategy.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I need to revisit the Jedi Mind Tricks thread. I'm trying to condition my students to start their work EARLY. We're halfway through a seven week term and they are waiting to the absolute last minute to contact me with questions.

I just received an email asking for help on a lab that is due in the next 40 minutes. I'm not responding to it until tomorrow.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Double post.

I think I was accidentally included on an email to the class asking for answers...WWTFD?