RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

The Department Chair that hired me 21 years ago died the day after Christmas.  I had emailed him about New Years and again about the start of the term, and no reply. He was famous/notorious for replying within hours! 

I did a search of his name and his obituary was the first thing to pop up.   No one had notified the university, so I had to take care of that. I dont know what the university does if/when notified.

The dean that first hired me also died!  He died the first week of January. He and the chair worked very closely together and were instrumental in getting us to the position we are in now.  To have them both die within 10 day...
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

AmLitHist

Jean Carnahan, straight-talking US Senator from Missouri. She was appointed to fill her husband's term after he'd won election posthumously, following a plane crash.

fleabite

Quote from: clean on January 30, 2024, 12:51:19 PMThe Department Chair that hired me 21 years ago died the day after Christmas.  I had emailed him about New Years and again about the start of the term, and no reply. He was famous/notorious for replying within hours! 

I did a search of his name and his obituary was the first thing to pop up.   No one had notified the university, so I had to take care of that. I dont know what the university does if/when notified.

The dean that first hired me also died!  He died the first week of January. He and the chair worked very closely together and were instrumental in getting us to the position we are in now.  To have them both die within 10 day...

That is very sad, clean. I am sorry for your double loss.

secundem_artem

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Bbmaj7b5

clean

Country Music Singer Toby Keith  at 62  (stomach cancer).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc

Myword

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 08, 2023, 02:28:51 PMActor Ryan O'Neill, aged 82.

I was a big fan. An underrated actor. Starred in Barry Lyndon, one of my alltime favorites, A masterpiece of art

Myword

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 13, 2020, 09:03:36 PMI saw both, but only after I had read the novels. I also remember seeing "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" with Richard Buton.

Here is the obit: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/books/john-le-carre-dead.html

Incidentally, one of the clues in NYT's Monday crossword (the online edition is released Sun evening) is on John Le Carre.

One of my favorites is "Call for the Dead"--short, tight, and gripping.

The Tailor of Panama   read it twice and great movie with Brosnan and Jamie Lee Curtis, Geoffrey Rush
A satire on the CIA intelligence

secundem_artem

Canadian former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney at 84.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/29/world/canada/brian-mulroney-dead.html

The slimiest sack of merde to ever inhabit 24 Sussex Avenue. We were still living in The Great White North when Muldoon became PM.  As I recall, his nickname was "lint" because when George HW Bush put his hand in his pocket, he'd come out with lint.

I remember going into a bookstore and there was a paperback with Muldoon on the cover.  Somebody had scratched the eyes out.

He was elected to Parliament with what I believe was the biggest majority ever.  By the time he left, the Tories were left with a half dozen seats and hoping Kim Campbell could right the ship.  The results were 15 years in the wilderness as the Tories tried to wipe off the stink off from they guy.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

statsgeek

My section-mate, who took me under his wing when I re-joined a community band for the first time in years this past fall.  Yesterday's first rehearsal without him was hard but cathartic. 

namazu

The leader of the congregation in which I grew up.  He was there from my birth through my wedding and beyond.  He was a good guy, and will be missed.

kaysixteen

Mulroney's death has been commented on by many Canadians and those knowledgeable about Canada, and he does not seem to have evoked neutral views in more or less anyone.   What really is the truth about him and his admin/ policies?