News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Hola,

Finally gave up and joined the Comments Orgy - squeaked into Genius. No pangram.

For LB, went to the online solver. I had gotten the first word which was rather unusual, and then the second word was a compound I hadn't thought of.

Langue_doc

Thanks for the explanation of jinni, cathwen. Since I have no recollection of encountering this word, I didn't think it was related to jinn.

Thanks for the bee juju, ab_grp. It worked.

ciao_yall and ab_grp, I'm sending hints for the pangram and my LB solution, and my LB solution respectively. Open your PMs at your peril.

ab_grp

Congrats, Langue_doc!! I'm glad the juju helped.

And thanks for the hint! I opened it before reading this, but I am ready for peril if it leads me eventually to a LB solution.

Langue_doc

Since it's an unfamiliar comic series, think someone from the boonies.a century ago, getting excited about something (adjective).

ETA Tomorrow's crossword is done.

ab_grp

I think I might have found a different 2fer? But I am going to keep looking and am interested in the answer!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

bodacious/shrink; (shrank and shrunk as well)

Made it to genius on SB. That's about it for today I think.

Happy solving, all.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Just a note that my final word in the bee yesterday was "ciao" of all things! It was also my husband's.

Thanks again for the LB hints, Langue_doc! Although I didn't find that solution, I think the solving power helped me to get KIRSCH-HANDBOUND.  I got "kirsch" later in the evening and had "hand" lying around to play with and came to this solution, which I am not thrilled with (but I'll take it!).  I also tried kibosh and bushido along the way to no avail.  Just looking for unusual words.  The comic strip reminds me a bit of a part of my family (exaggerated). 

Today I just had tooth-brushing time so far but found the pangram right away.  Just at 58 but will work more on it after crosswords and coffee.  It looks like it could be a tough one even though it's short.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

My LB yesterday was burdocks-sharkskin. I had gotten pretty close to that with my 3fers (burdocks-shank-kin) but didn't tip over the edge.

Today is all-college meetings on Zoom (oh joy) so I'll have lots of puzzle time.

cathwen

I was going to say good morning, but it's already afternoon—so good afternoon!

As always, I'm enjoying the various solutions to yesterday's LB.  I had chicks-soundboard. 

Yesterday's SB was more successful than usual for me, as I got to Alpha, but I just couldn't see the remaining words.  I also missed 'ciao', as well as 'coact' and 'coati'. 

Today, I've gotten to genius, and that may be it for the day.  And I've found a 2-fer for LB. 

Ciao_yall, saving puzzles for boring blah-blah-blah meetings (which college meetings tend to be) on Zoom is an excellent use of time! 

Parasaurolophus

Got to genius pretty quickly this morning, and saw the pangram right away for once.

Among yesterday's rejected Bee words:

canto
nootic
coition
zoonotic
nictitation
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Genius and several really close 3fers.

The meeting today was torture. Ended up hate-listening and snarking with friends over text.

ab_grp

Well, managed to get to QB despite not a lot of initial optimism.  I had gotten right up to the border of Alpha, and husband was struggling, then he caught up almost to me.  When we came back to it just now, he passed me to a clean Alpha, then I passed him, and then he hit QB about a minute before I did.  He has been having a hard time with it recently, so I am very happy that he got there first! It was fun trying to keep passing each other.  Some obscure words, but not too bad.  Good luck if you're still in it!

Congrats on the 2fer, cathwen, and it sounds as though ciao_yall is nearly there.  I have a couple contenders, one of which I feel could be the trick, but no mate yet.  I wonder if there will be as many solutions found as yesterday.  Hope the snark and puzzle solving helped with the meeting torture, ciao_yall.

ETA: Just got a 2fer! I was right about which contender would get to a solution.  Will happily try to provide helpful hints to anyone interested!

Langue_doc

Congrats QBs and two-fers.

Made it to QB--there's only one unfamiliar word. I had 96 points this morning, so it wasn't too taxing.

I won't be able to get to LB as I have a book discussion session later this evening. Unlike ciao_yall, I won't be able to play with puzzles as this is a group that requires your undivided attention.

I knew from experience that SB wouldn't accept coition, but tried it anyway, Yesterday I found ciao early on, and assumed that everybody else in this group would have found it too.

cathwen

Congrats on QB, Langue_doc and ab_grp!

I have just one word to go until QB.  I need to go away and come back to it.  What can it be?  I am wracking my brain, such as it is.

As for yesterday's rejected words:  I tried coition, too.  And canto, which I always try, and which is always rejected.

Ciao_yall, your meeting sounded hideous, but you had a good coping strategy. 

ab_grp

Congrats, Langue_doc! Hope you enjoy your book discussion!

And good luck, cathwen.  You are so close! I hope the time away helps.  As Langue_doc noted, there's really only one sort of tough word that I sort of had to guess at.  Both husband and I found it late in the puzzle.  Sending bee juju your way!