News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Pangram and genius, and twofer.

Am still waiting for the X-Ray results in the waiting room of the most disorganized ER.

Aaargh!

ab_grp

Arghing empathetically (and emphatically!) with you, Langue_doc! I hope you get your results back soon, get some info/treatment, and get home! Congrats on your 2fer!

And congrats on yours as well, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc

Thanks, ab_grp. No fracture, thankfully, but I would still need to see the orthopedist to find out what actually happened. The physician, one of the worst I've encountered, was dismissive when I asked if I could get a CD of the x-ray. Aaargh again!

Missed titivate, kvell, teakettle, and a couple of familiar words yesterday.

ab_grp, I did notice the new sudoku format, but didn't pay much attention to it because I usually start with the easy one and then progress to the more difficult ones after that. I'm still annoyed with the change in the bee--once you get to genius they make you click on continue and then on keep playing every.single.time! The NYT games people think that the subscribers have so much time on their hands that they complete the puzzle in one fell swoop or that they have such a leisurely lifestyle that they should be thankful for the extra step involved every time they return to the puzzle.

End of vent.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH and a few new words added to the list - tommyrot, toroid, torridity. LB hackneyed-divot.

Langue_doc hip/lower back stuff is so annoying, and soft tissue diagnosis can be tricky. Hope you find the solution soon.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram, which I found only because one of the other words reminded me of this one, and then genius. It's a draggy one today, so I'm not sure if I have the energy to find the rest of the words. I think I have around 250 points.

Missed tommyrot, toroid, and torridity.

hackneyed/devotion

Found a twofer.

cathwen, ah, the winters upstate. Fortunately for me, who likes to walk even during blizzards, I found a good winter coat and also a good pair of winter boots in the stores downtown. Those stores have long since gone the way of the dodo.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to genius plus, but no pangram yet.  I saw that Sam tweeted that if you're having trouble finding the pangram today, don't worry! There will be lots of pangrams on Saturday.  Well, I guess the pangram is difficult for a lot of people today.  I think husband is in the same boat.  Yesterday we failed to achieve QB, both missing toroid, torridity, tyro.  I was also missing ditto, toro, and (ha) omit.  I think we were both missing another word that started with a different letter, but I can't figure out what it was right now. 

For LB, I got the schmofficial hackneyed-divot after not really getting any good contenders for a while.  Whew.  Congrats on your 2fers, ciao_yall and Langue_doc!

Langue_doc, I'm sorry that they didn't take better care of you.  It's incredible how put off medical folks seem to be sometimes when we ask for our own dang info!! I was surprised at how much was provided in the medical portal regarding the open heart surgery (like very specific surgical details, every type of anesthesia and when it was turned on/off, all the notes made by the nurses and other staff during post-op care, etc.), but I guess it's due to some record portability guidelines.  Seems like that should be more universal.  Did they give you anything to help with the soreness until you see the orthopedist? Good that it's not a fracture, even if you didn't gain more of an understanding of the cause. 

And both of the puzzle changes require an extra step, which makes me nuts.  Why, also, do you have to hit "Play" to start LB? I mean, why do they think I'm on that webpage? Just to look cool? I guess I could just be checking yesterday's answers and not ready to start, but it's not like some timer starts when you land on the page (or at any point), so why have to click yet another button? I wonder if all these extra clicks help them keep track of user actions to inform design.  Sadly, they are poor design themselves, in my book.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I found tomtit (which I usually see) and toroid with 2LL help yesterday.  I don't know what possessed me to try torridity—it was a stab in the dark.  Today I have only two words to go, but may have to resort to hints if I can't find them by the time I need to start dinner.

LB:  I had hackneyed-devotion.. I found a 2fer today as well.

Langue_doc, what an appalling experience.  I hope that someone figures out what is wrong with your hip!  I had an awful experience at an imaging center in NY, when I lived there—disorganization and staff with weak English skills, such that we could barely understand each other—and a potentially serious diagnosis hanging in the balance.  (It turned out not to be serious.). But, ugh.

Anyway—happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

Finally found the pangram yesterday, and needed a few hints for some easy words to schlep to QB. LB quartzite-epoch.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius pretty easily today with pangram.  Yesterday we failed to get team QB, and the pangram was one of the words we needed help with again.  I am not sure I ever would have guessed it.  What's up with not accepting macking? I thought that was it.  And no kingmaking either, I guess.  We were also missing miking, gamin (I just don't think about that spelling).  And I was missing manga, caking.  Oh well!

Congrats on getting the schmofficial 2fer, ciao_yall! I thought that one was pretty tough.  I had some good contenders but don't think I would have figured it out.

And hi, Parasaurolophus! Good to see you!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I finally got to QB with 2LL help to find kicking (!!) and mimicking.  Today I got to genius pretty easily, and now am at Beta, but having trouble finding more words. 

LB:  I also had quartzite-epoch.  After a good deal of frustration earlier this morning, I came back to LB just now and found an immediate 2fer. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius. Missed gamin, gimmick, and a few other words which I knew I had entered, such as caning, miking, and a couple more. I found the pangram because nicking suggested nickname, which then led me to the pangram.

I had the NYT solution, which isn't surprising because of the letters involved.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got to QBABM! Yay! Feels like it's been a while.

On the other hand, I still haven't had any luck with LB after a number of contenders.  Congrats on getting one immediately, cathwen! Maybe it will pop out at me at some point.  And congrats to you and Langue_doc on also getting the solution yesterday. 

Langue_doc, I was reading through the words from yesterday this morning to try to identify what I had missed, and saw naming, nicking at the end there and thought I should have put that puzzle together yesterday, but nope. 

Parasaurolophus

Whew, GWP again. I'm back.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBABM! Last word biff which I entered on a lark. LB extols-scribing.[/]

Errands and dinner party prep await.

Happy solving!