News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

QB and two twofers. It's a superficially tricky pangram, just do the mindless thing which might prompt it to emerge.

I had the same reaction to attaint being rejected several times in the past few weeks. I'm not sure if it was ever accepted, but it is a tad bit archaic. However, far more people would be familiar with this word than the numerous obscure and discipline-and-foreign language-specific words that are used with such abandon in the bee.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Last words yesterday were blah, baht, habitat, and hubbub, for which I needed a hint.  Today I made QB.

LB:  I had marketing-globe.  Congratulations on your multiple answers, ciao_yall!

Attaint *was* accepted in the past—I have it in my list of Bee words.  I wonder why it is now on the reject list?  It seems there was another word recently that had been accepted but is now rejected, but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway—happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Okay, now I get it re: pangram.  I can't believe myself sometimes! So I got that, still a few words left on the bee.  Got a 2fer, though!

Congrats on you QBABYs, Langue_doc and cathwen!

And thanks for the attaint info! I remember when I first saw it in there (well, I think husband found it, and I thought... what!).  It's like telnet.  I finally remembered it pretty consistently, and then it went away.

ciao_yall

QB, needed hints to remember mildew(ed.) LB moralizes-showmen.

Since we have tipped into the next day's puzzles I got a head start. Genius, 2fer but broke my 29-day streak in Wordle! Wah!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was denim. Didn't think that windmilled was a word, but who knew!

moralizes/shown; normalizes/show

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday, last word melee.  Those -ee words always trip me up.  Today I'm at Beta with the pangram, five words to go.

Telnet!  That was the other Bee word that used to be accepted but was rejected recently.  Just when you begin to remember the odd ones, they go away! 

LB:  I had moralizes-shown.  I found one today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to pangram with genius so far.  Yesterday we almost had team QB but were both missing linemen and needed Shunn's help for that.  Congrats on your QBABY, cathwen! I have trouble with the -ees as well.

For LB, I had harmonizes-swole.  Several different ones all around! And congrats on two, Langue_doc! And on yours today, cathwen!

Congrats on your 2fer today as well, ciao_yall! Sorry to hear about Wordle!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and just a few words left for QB. Last words yesterday were ought and goth.

boule/emphatic; phobic/cumulate

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning/almost afternoon!

I needed help to find bourg, burgh, and burgoo yesterday.  Today I am missing one 8-letter word.  I hope to find it eventually without help, but who knows.

LB:  I had photic-clubmate and photobiotic-cumulate.  Lots of solutions yesterday!  Today I have two 2fers; my first one had a word that I didn't think was a word, so I looked for another combination and found one. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH and a Facebook spoiler for burgoo which I never would have found on my own. LB phobic-cumulate.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius and finally have all the pangrams.  Yesterday I needed help with burg, bourg, burgoo.  And burgoo kept us from team QB.  I guess I may never remember that word.

And no luck on LB despite plenty of trying! You all got so many solutions, and all different from the schmofficial one as well! Congrats! And congrats on two more today, cathwen! Wow!

I don't think anyone has mentioned the new look of the ranks page on the bee yet (or I missed it)? Now it has points to the next level and points to genius.  Looks like it's only in the app right now, though? I wonder what else they might start providing the option to display.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius but there are far too many points still left to expend more time/energy on today's bee. Last words yesterday were bialy and tilt.

QuoteI don't think anyone has mentioned the new look of the ranks page on the bee yet (or I missed it)? Now it has points to the next level and points to genius.  Looks like it's only in the app right now, though?

The new look (on the kindle and also the computers) appeared for only half a day. It's been back to the old look. I don't use the app, so perhaps the new look is only for the app? The bee has introduced an annoying feature--when getting back to the puzzle, you get a screen that tells you that you've reached genius, and then you have to click on another link to continue with the puzzle. It's rather time-consuming because most people probably don't get to QB in one sitting. Aaargh!

walkthrough/hoagie; I have a twofer today, which is my compensation for not getting to complete today's bee (I think it's quite unlikely given the number of points).

ciao_yall

QBwH and a new-ish word lability. LB walkthrough-hie.

Long bee today but got a quick 2fer. Maybe I should start making a list of words.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Not to genius yet, but at least the pangram came quickly.  We had team QB yesterday, but I can't remember all the words I was missing.  I'm sure it included lability, bait, vitally, viably....  I had to spend some time fixing a mistake with my car registration.  Ugh!!

And no luck on LB! Maybe today.  Good work on your 2fers yesterday and today, ciao_yall and Langue_doc (and yours made me hungry!).

Langue_doc, I noticed this morning that the new app feature with the rankings was gone again.  So I guess they were just trying it out? I looked on Sam's twitter and didn't see anything.  On the NYT Games twitter, I noticed it has a post about what's not allowed in the bee, including "anything too informal"... like wanna, gonna, dunno (was that in there)? Anyway, I haven't seen any mention of the brief change anywhere yet, which is kind of odd, but I'm probably just missing it.  And I agree that it is super annoying to have to click past the genius achievement screen each time you return.  That is what happens (kinda sorta, haha) when you get to QB, with more screens to click through to get to the word list.  I wonder if they did that to make genius seem like more of a big deal given that it is supposed to be the top rank or winning rank or whatever.  Previously, you'd get to genius and get the brief hooray and then just keep going (or not). 

I will be taking husband to his cardiologist appt this afternoon (in the truck, not my car).  Not sure if I will be going in with him or will have time for puzzling in the waiting room.

Happy solving!