News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dog to English Translator

Started by archaeo42, May 21, 2019, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Advice please.  Canine critter, age @ 5 (shelter pet) is allergic to, among other things, beef, chicken, corn, peas , rice, oats (and salt grass, which is a real problem as I winter next to a salt marsh).  For food, that pretty much leaves lamb and salmon, (turkey is a bit high but doable)  potatoes (sweet and white), and spinach, alfalfa, barley, carrots.  I would like to start making his food, but can't figure out a recipe.  I made food for my now gone little critter, but it used both rice and mixed vegetables.  My critter recipe book is in summer quarters.  I will talk with the vet today,  but would welcome your suggestions.  I have looked on line but it seems that pretty much all recipes contain at least one forbidden ingredient.  Thank  you!

Morden

I would probably switch out the forbidden ingredient in the online recipes for one that the pup can tolerate--at least you'd have the rough proportions of carb, protein, and fat OK. But of course your vet will have more info.
(I'm imagining a yummy lamb stew)

nebo113

Quote from: Morden on January 21, 2023, 08:09:44 AM
I would probably switch out the forbidden ingredient in the online recipes for one that the pup can tolerate--at least you'd have the rough proportions of carb, protein, and fat OK. But of course your vet will have more info.
(I'm imagining a yummy lamb stew)

Thanks!  He's allergic to rice and most of what's in mixed veggies.  Little stinker.  Switching to new dry dog food until I can talk with a veterinarian nutritionist....who knew they existed????

secundem_artem

Update on events.  Artem Dog was seriously attacked last March and crossed the rainbow bridge due to heart failure in August.  A week later, Artem Pup moved into his forever home.

Well, we've now had Artem Pup for about 6 months.  I joke that he's a sub-standard poodle.  Either that or he's a therapy dog - 'cause he sure as hell needs therapy at times.  His 4 favorite food groups are shoelaces, paper towels, sleeves and pant legs, and pulling the stuffing out of his bed.  He's unusually tall for a toy breed and is now big enough to get up and down stairs, furniture, beds etc. all on his ownsie.  My fingers, toes, earlobes, and eyeglasses are under constant attack from his little nipper teeth.  EVERYTHING that fits goes into that little mouth. He's a 5 pound hurricane.

All that notwithstanding, he's as entertaining as a monkey wearing hat juggling raw eggs.  He's learning most of the basic commands, and although he could never truly replace the sadly missed Artem Dog, he's a load of fun. 

Dogs.  I'm never sure who owns who.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

AmLitHist

He sounds like a hoot, Artem--that made me smile!  Thanks for sharing it, and give the pup some skritches from me!

nebo113

Leaving the canine at sitter's house for 3 nights.  Never left him before.  Sitter is wonderful.  I trust her absolutely.  Feeling guilty and teary.

Harlow2

Quote from: secundem_artem on February 25, 2023, 11:37:22 AM
Update on events.  Artem Dog was seriously attacked last March and crossed the rainbow bridge due to heart failure in August.  A week later, Artem Pup moved into his forever home.

Well, we've now had Artem Pup for about 6 months.  I joke that he's a sub-standard poodle.  Either that or he's a therapy dog - 'cause he sure as hell needs therapy at times.  His 4 favorite food groups are shoelaces, paper towels, sleeves and pant legs, and pulling the stuffing out of his bed.  He's unusually tall for a toy breed and is now big enough to get up and down stairs, furniture, beds etc. all on his ownsie.  My fingers, toes, earlobes, and eyeglasses are under constant attack from his little nipper teeth.  EVERYTHING that fits goes into that little mouth. He's a 5 pound hurricane.

All that notwithstanding, he's as entertaining as a monkey wearing hat juggling raw eggs.  He's learning most of the basic commands, and although he could never truly replace the sadly missed Artem Dog, he's a load of fun. 

Dogs.  I'm never sure who owns who.

Aww. He sounds wonderful; and advanced to be learning commands already

Dimple_Dumpling72

I'm sorry I'm late to the conversation, but have you looked at BalanceIT (https://secure.balanceit.com/ez/index.php?rotator=NewEz)?  I don't use it, but several people in the IBD dog group I'm part of do.

Quote from: nebo113 on January 21, 2023, 06:42:33 AM
Advice please.  Canine critter, age @ 5 (shelter pet) is allergic to, among other things, beef, chicken, corn, peas , rice, oats (and salt grass, which is a real problem as I winter next to a salt marsh).  For food, that pretty much leaves lamb and salmon, (turkey is a bit high but doable)  potatoes (sweet and white), and spinach, alfalfa, barley, carrots.  I would like to start making his food, but can't figure out a recipe.  I made food for my now gone little critter, but it used both rice and mixed vegetables.  My critter recipe book is in summer quarters.  I will talk with the vet today,  but would welcome your suggestions.  I have looked on line but it seems that pretty much all recipes contain at least one forbidden ingredient.  Thank  you!

nebo113

Quote from: Dimple_Dumpling72 on March 03, 2023, 11:15:33 AM
I'm sorry I'm late to the conversation, but have you looked at BalanceIT (https://secure.balanceit.com/ez/index.php?rotator=NewEz)?  I don't use it, but several people in the IBD dog group I'm part of do.

Quote from: nebo113 on January 21, 2023, 06:42:33 AM

Thanks!.  Will check it out.

apl68

This morning while bicycling downtown to get the payroll signed at the Mayor's office I encountered a dog that was running around unsupervised.  Evidently he had a serious case of spring fever.  I feared at first that he was chasing me.  Instead he started running alongside me.  He was just feeling so good on a spring morning that he wanted to go exploring.  At one point he darted off to the side to chase a squirrel, then rejoined me after the squirrel had escaped up a tree.  There's nothing like a dog in springtime for sheer energy.

I would have been charmed by the dog's antics and enthusiasm, were it not for having to keep tapping the brakes when he crossed my path right in front of me.  After some blocks of this, the dog encountered another unsupervised dog.  I left them sniffing of each other on a street corner, and had the street to myself the rest of the way.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

Kid #1's support dog, Norman the GSD, finally caught up to the black tomcat that's been wandering around their farmhouse, hogging the kibble she gives her three girl barn cats.  Usually Norm sees the black cat when he goes out the back door, but "spins his wheels" on the slick tile floor as he tries to dash out and chase the cat off.  Earlier this week, Kid was giving the girls some kibble while Norm was watching, and the tomcat made a mistake--not just trying to hog the girls' food, but hissing at Kid as she brought out another scoop.  This time, Norm had good footing out in the yard, and like a flash was across the deck, hot on the cat's heels.

The tomcat shimmied through an open hole in the deck (from when the landlord was working on a gas line in the cold winter), and big ol' derpy Norman followed him--at least, up to his shoulders.  After some growling and scuffling, Norm came up, triumphant, but very, very confused: he had a mouthful of black fur!

Hopefully the black tom has learned his lesson and will go to one of the neighboring farms for kibble and company. We think Norman was as traumatized as the cat, kind of like the old joke about a dog chasing a car and not knowing what to do when he caught it.  :-)

Thursday's_Child

I created a very confused dog this morning.  He has trained me to toss him a small taste of my breakfast while I make it (and to save the last tiny bite of it for him).  So, without paying much attention, I tossed a sliver of ham, he snapped at it, and I assumed he'd caught it.  A few minutes later I started wondering why he was turning circles - the ham had landed on his hind quarters, but he couldn't figure that out and was looking all over the floor....

Dimple_Dumpling72

nebo113

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: nebo113 on April 01, 2023, 06:24:17 AM
Quote from: Dimple_Dumpling72 on March 31, 2023, 09:38:17 AM
This made my day!

Mine, too.....giggling.

Thank you!  Breakfast this morning went much more smoothly, because I was paying attention when I tossed the bit of cheddar.