News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

It's crockpot night for me. Whatever random edible combination of remaining fresh meat and veggies that remain in my frig (I have not had time to buy more groceries) will get thrown in and will be waiting for me when I return in the evening.

mamselle

I semi-burned the spinach last night, so put some extra water in and put it in the fridge.

This AM I added all the spices one uses for saag paneer, plus some cheese, and tried it for lunch. The felted spinach had pretty much plumped back up and the cheese (added last) just got a bit melty, but not gooey.

It was good, and there's enough for dinner, so I might have to do a curry. I have some seafood as well as some chicken....wonder which I'll choose??

On va voir...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I made this tonight. Well, approximately. Some frozen shrimp that had been in the freezer for who knows how long* stood in for the fresh fish, and I added some old zucchini to bulk up the vegetables, but the rest was as in the recipe. Outstandingly good. We had it with day-old sourdough to sop up the sauce. I'll definitely make it again, and maybe add more veggies--onions, for example, would be great.

*that's rhetorical. About two weeks to a month, probably.

ab_grp

My husband had wanted to try carbonnade a la flamande (Flemish beef stew) based on a friend's recommendation, so he made some for dinner last night using a Jacques Pepin recipe.  We both thought it was good but maybe not our favorite.  Since neither of us have had it, we're unsure if it's the recipe or we just aren't the hugest fans of the dish.  It was hearty but just not too flavorful? But it had "good bones" as we like to say, so he is going to try to build off of it at some point in the future.   

sinenomine

Crab and lobster ravioli with Alfredo sauce for me.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Larimar

Homemade pizza night here tonight. Mr. Larimar's half will have spicy veggie "sausage" as usual, and my half will have mushrooms and black olives.  I make the crust from scratch using my mother's recipe. I put my own slight twist on it in that I add some garlic powder to the dough. I also use more Italian seasoning and parsley flakes in it than she does. That livens it up.

mamselle

Quote from: ab_grp on October 09, 2021, 11:48:44 AM
My husband had wanted to try carbonnade a la flamande (Flemish beef stew) based on a friend's recommendation, so he made some for dinner last night using a Jacques Pepin recipe.  We both thought it was good but maybe not our favorite.  Since neither of us have had it, we're unsure if it's the recipe or we just aren't the hugest fans of the dish.  It was hearty but just not too flavorful? But it had "good bones" as we like to say, so he is going to try to build off of it at some point in the future.

The Flemish can't cook like the English can't cook.

Well, I'm prejudiced, as I've said before, but if you're doing Belgian anything, you want a Walloon recipe.

It's gotta be better...

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO is making turkey and dumplings using the leftover (frozen) Thanksgiving turkey carcass. Dumplings are homemade, as usual. Good comfort food.

mamselle

The other half of Friday's homemade smallish shepherd's pie, plus toasted pieces of pita with hot corn chutney as a side..sort of a mismatch, but they each tasted good, and were eaten sequentially, not simultaneously, so that was all right.

Dessert was a. Triple Chocolate Cookie with homemade berry/cherry sauce over it...eaten with hot tea, so it melts in your mouth...

M.

apl68

Had family in town, and so had an excuse to go out to eat.  I had an alligator po' boy sandwich.  It was great!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I'm sure this is a cultural thing, but...is this an actual...

...gulp...

...alligator?

M.

secundem_artem

Quote from: mamselle on December 20, 2021, 03:28:13 PM

...gulp...

...alligator?

M.

Artemville used to have a restaurant that served game - wild boar, non-farmed venison, alligator, etc.  A lot of people went there once.  Nobody ever went twice.  It closed within a year or so.  Was nicknamed The Road Kill Café.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on December 20, 2021, 03:28:13 PM

...gulp...

...alligator?

M.

Yup.  They have two or three alligator dishes on the menu.  They are native to our region, after all.  The restaurant has a Cajun-influenced menu.  I'm pretty sure the owner is personally acquainted with the "Duck Dynasty" clan.

I've seen about half a dozen different species of fish and quadruped at our church's annual game supper.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

I've seen about half a dozen different species of fish and quadruped at our church's annual game supper.

Dare I ask the identity of the quadrupeds?

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 21, 2021, 01:20:04 PM

Dare I ask the identity of the quadrupeds?

Deer, squirrel, wild hog, and raccoon.